Aug 31, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
This has been the summer of teams publicly throwing their support behind advanced statistics as a tool worthy of inclusion in their internal evaluation process. However, advanced statistics are nothing new, they’re just arguably becoming more mainstream.
Teams like the Kings have been using them for a while and former Los Angeles assistant GM Ron Hextall felt that it played a role in the franchise’s run of two Stanley Cup championships in three years.
“It’s not because of it,” Hextall, who is now the Flyers’ general manager, told the Courier-Post. “It’s one part of the puzzle. You’ve got a big puzzle that’s 100 percent. Maybe it’s a 5-percenter or a 7-percenter, but 5 or 7 percent, whatever it may be, when you look at how close the league is, it does mean something. When you’re making decisions, it’s a tool. If it’s your primary decision maker, you’re gonna be in a lot of trouble.”
In other words, in a league where the salary cap has led to parity, any small advantage can be important. Of course, with more teams putting an emphasis on them, that edge could be neutralized so long as franchises adopting them don’t go to the other extreme.
“Hockey’s not a static game,” Hextall added. “Baseball is. Baseball, I think it can be used as more of a tool. I think hockey might get there, but we’ve got work to do.”
That being said, Hextall has interest in what baseball has done with advanced statistics and he will continue to encourage the investigation and growth of the field in hockey in the hopes that Philadelphia might gain a small, but important edge over the competition.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)