Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
So what happens if the Columbus Blue Jackets and restricted free agent Ryan Johansen are unable to reach a deal prior to the start of training camp next month?
Columbus Dispatch reporter Aaron Portzline asked this very question in is blog Saturday.
According to Portzline, the two sides had nothing new to report on contract negotiations as of Friday.
The Blue Jackets have reportedly offered the 22-year-old a two-year contract worth $7 million with a long-term deal to be negotiated in 2016. However, Johansen’s camp is looking for a deal worth a reported $7 million per season after the 6-foot-3, 223-pound center had a career year scoring 33 goals and 63 points in 2013-14.
For those wondering, the Blue Jackets currently have over $14 million in cap space to play with.
With neither side budging, Portzline suggests a number of available unrestricted free agents, who could be invited to Columbus’ camp.
Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Michal Handzus, Andrei Loktionov, David Steckel, Ryan Malone, Ville Leino, Colin Fraser, Daniel Carcillo and Ryan Carter, are among those without contracts.
Despite Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen saying a camp invite is unlikely, Portzline believes the Finnish connection makes Koivu the likely candidate.
As for the Johansen contract, one has to believe a short-term deal or bridge contract is likely. Other young players, who’ve signed short-term following a breakout season include Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban and Maple Leafs center Nazem Kadri. On Friday, Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz agreed to a one-year deal hoping to cash in next summer.
If Subban is any indication, barring a major setback, Johansen will get paid what he’s worth once the bridge deal is complete. If Kekalainen can get the Johansen camp to agree, a short-term deal will protect the Jackets’ in the short-term, but could cost them in the long run.
Hopefully for Jackets’ fans, the two sides can come to terms prior to the start of the season in October at the latest.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)