Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
So what happens if the Columbus Blue Jackets and restricted free agent Ryan Johansen are unable to reach a deal prior to the start of training camp next month?
Columbus Dispatch reporter Aaron Portzline asked this very question in is blog Saturday.
According to Portzline, the two sides had nothing new to report on contract negotiations as of Friday.
The Blue Jackets have reportedly offered the 22-year-old a two-year contract worth $7 million with a long-term deal to be negotiated in 2016. However, Johansen’s camp is looking for a deal worth a reported $7 million per season after the 6-foot-3, 223-pound center had a career year scoring 33 goals and 63 points in 2013-14.
For those wondering, the Blue Jackets currently have over $14 million in cap space to play with.
With neither side budging, Portzline suggests a number of available unrestricted free agents, who could be invited to Columbus’ camp.
Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Michal Handzus, Andrei Loktionov, David Steckel, Ryan Malone, Ville Leino, Colin Fraser, Daniel Carcillo and Ryan Carter, are among those without contracts.
Despite Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen saying a camp invite is unlikely, Portzline believes the Finnish connection makes Koivu the likely candidate.
As for the Johansen contract, one has to believe a short-term deal or bridge contract is likely. Other young players, who’ve signed short-term following a breakout season include Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban and Maple Leafs center Nazem Kadri. On Friday, Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz agreed to a one-year deal hoping to cash in next summer.
If Subban is any indication, barring a major setback, Johansen will get paid what he’s worth once the bridge deal is complete. If Kekalainen can get the Johansen camp to agree, a short-term deal will protect the Jackets’ in the short-term, but could cost them in the long run.
Hopefully for Jackets’ fans, the two sides can come to terms prior to the start of the season in October at the latest.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)