Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 PM EST
New Jersey Devils fans will never ask “Marty who?,” but the job of trying to get the franchise back to the glory days once enjoyed with Martin Brodeur now rests firmly on the shoulders of Cory Schneider.
That won’t be easy as Brodeur led the Devils to Stanley Cup victories three times and won the Vezina Trophy four times.
“Marty’s legacy is what it is,” Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello told NHL.com. “Cory’s not here to replace Marty. Cory’s here to establish his own identity, which he has done, and go forward with that.”
Schneider, 28, signed a new seven-year, $42 million contract extension in July, which will take him through the 2021-22 season.
In his first season in New Jersey, Schneider went 16-15-12 while appearing in 45 games during the 2013-14 season. His 1.97 GAA ranked third in the league.
However, with the Devils lacking goal-scoring, they missed the playoffs for a second straight season after getting to the Stanley Cup final during the 2011-12 season. New Jersey ranked 29th in 5-on-5 goals-for last season ahead of only Buffalo.
Schneider has been waiting for this opportunity since entering the league during the 2008-09 season and will likely be the franchise’s starting goaltender for many years to come.
He’s more than capable of handling the duties of a 60-plus games a season and considering what it cost Lamoriello to land him (a first round pick in 2013) Schneider is a steal.
This coming season Schneider won’t have the safety net of Brodeur, 42, to help him out if things go sideways. Rookie Keith Kinkaid, 25, is pencilled in to be Schneider’s backup in 2014-15.
The pressure is on Schneider to prove he can handle the opportunity he’s been waiting for for six seasons. If he can’t handle the duties expected of a No. 1, it’ll be a third straight season outside the playoff picture in New Jersey.
Related: Devils’ Gomez considered retirement
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 0
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)