Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Roman Vopat has joined the Western Hockey League’s Prince George Cougars as an assistant coach the club announced Saturday.
The 38-year-old was drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the seventh round of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft and played 133 games with St. Louis, Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia.
He is part of the answer to the trivia question ‘Who did the LA Kings get in return from the St. Louis Blues for Wayne Gretzky during the 1995-96 season?’.
Vopat along with two teammates and two draft picks were traded to the Kings for Gretzky.
A native of the Czech Republic, Vopat also spent time playing in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic. Prior to playing in the NHL, Vopat spent parts of two seasons in the WHL playing for the Moose Jaw Warriors and the Prince Albert Raiders.
After retiring, Vopat turned to coaching.
Most recently, he coached the Kimberly Dynamiters of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League for parts of two seasons.
There you have it, the answer to ‘Whatever happened to Roman Vopat?’ – incase you were wondering.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 3
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 31
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)