Aug 29, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
David Krejci registered 19 goals and 69 points in 80 games last season for the Boston, but its’ his 12 games without a goal during the playoffs, which is concerning.
Krejci registered four assists in the postseason as Boston fell to the Montreal Canadiens in the second round. It was the first time in his career he was held without a goal in the playoffs.
As he enters his eighth season in Boston, there’s a lot on Krejci’s shoulders.
The 28-year-old is entering the final season of a three-year $15.75 million contract and is a pending unrestricted free agent.
As Boston radio station WEEI points out in their Big Bad Blog, last time around Krejci didn’t sign until December 2011 well into the final year of his deal. According to the post, Krejci and the Bruins have begun “casual discussions” on a new deal for the Czech native.
Iginla played alongside Milan Lucic and Krejci helping him put together his second most productive season offensively.
Eriksson told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty earlier this month that, “It’s definitely two great players to play with. I played two games with (Krejci and Lucic) last season, and it was nice. We’ll see when the preseason starts, and if maybe we practice together a little bit. Then we’ll see how things work out. Krejci is a great player, and he can see the ice really well.”
As NHL.com points out, should Reilly Smith have a contract when the season starts, he could also see time with the Bruins veterans as coach Claude Julien looks to find the right chemistry amongst his forward group.
Given that he is in a contract year and could be auditioning for more than just the Bruins along with the fact he had a postseason to forget, Boston fans should expect big things from Krejci this season.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)