Sarich opens up about scary cycling accident, aftermath

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

When Cory Sarich decided to go biking as part of his training regime on July 22, the unrestricted free agent was focused on getting in shape for the start of the 2014-15 campaign. His priorities have changed now, but he feels he has a lot to be thankful for even after what happened.

Sarich was riding on Windermere Loop Road when he got into an accident with a Ford F-350 truck that threatened his life.

“We’re going opposite directions and, no signal, he turns left,” Sarich told the Denver Post. “I’ve only got 15-20 meters (50-60 feet) and he’s right there in front of me, and taking up the whole road and going super slow and I’m breaking as hard as I can. Someone said I left about a 15-20 foot skid mark ā€” I haven’t been back there to see ā€” and I was going to impact the side of his truck, and I ended up going off to the side and over my handlebars, landing on the left side of my body.”

Sarich fell between the truck’s front and rear tires as the elderly driver continued forward, running him over with a rear tire. He broke five vertebra and sustained a deep head wound, road rash, and a burnt wrist. As the truck impacted him, he thought he would die and although he miraculously he managed to stand after being run over, he knew that his injuries were serious.

“I was really having trouble breathing, feeling woozy and feeling like I was going to go down,” Sarich recalled. “That was the most pain I have ever experienced.”

He was airlifted to the hospital and while he’s recovering, he still has a long road ahead of him. He’s not sure if his hockey career is over, but he doesn’t hold a grudge against the man that hit him. He also appreciates what he has despite what he’s been through.

“It’s amazing how an accident like this puts things in perspective,” Sarich said.

1. withseidelinn - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Jesus. Had no idea it was that bad. All the best to him.

• dipthatchip - Aug 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM

srsly, terrfiying.

2. patthehockeyfan - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM

He holds no grudge against the man who hit him? He’s certainly a bigger person than I am. I’d want to punch that sob in the face about a million times. Then maybe run over him with his own truck.

I’m glad Sarich is recovering, and I hope he gets back to 100% health.

• ibieiniid - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM

The concept of an “accident” escapes you.

It says right there it was an elderly driver.

• patthehockeyfan - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I know it said elderly driver. Maybe he’s too old to drive and should have his license revoked. He hits a guy head on and continues to drive over him.

My point was that most people (you being the exception) would be pissed off as hell.

• ibieiniid - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM

“Iā€™d want to punch that sob in the face about a million times. Then maybe run over him with his own truck.” is what I was referring to. first off, it’s an accident. second off, you’re talking about punching an old man in the face.

• patthehockeyfan - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Your point?

Guy’s driving down the road, apparently is not paying attention, doesn’t see a bicyclist coming towards him, makes a left turn without signaling, hits the bicyclist, and continues to drive right over him.

You call it an accident, and, with the meaning of accident being that it wasn’t done on purpose, you’re right.

I call it a careless, stupid, old driver who shouldn’t be driving. And, I’d still want to punch the guy.

• ibieiniid - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM

i’m not sure why you’re arguing those points. I’m not saying the guy wasn’t at fault or that he should keep his license. I’m saying that, again, you’re talking about punching an old man in the face repeatedly and running him over with a truck. What he did: an accident, possibly a low-level crime. what you’re talking about: life in prison.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM

ZIP IT PAT, YOU REVOLTING ‘HURTFUL’ COW !!!

Anyone who would wish harm upon a senior for an ‘involuntary’ mistake is both loathe and vile. Same goes for anyone who would like to ‘put the boots’ to a toddler for ‘unknowingly’ injuring someone by what they perceived to be nothing more than a ‘harmless’ prank. The bottom line is that part of being a ‘mature’ adult is the ability to distinguish right from wrong and/or good from evil. It’s a ‘sad’ occasion when one has to tell a parent that he/she cannot drive anymore due to their diminishing faculties, for with that goes away a part of their freedom forever. However we do that for their ‘own’ good, just as we accept the mistakes of our fellow man in the spirit of compassion and for our own ‘collective’ good as ‘decent’ folk.

• phtjoey - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Yeah! Run him over with his own truck Pat. That fixes everything. In your world does Charles Vacca deserve a bullet to the head after putting an Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old child?

• patthehockeyfan - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Shut up, joey. Or I’ll run you over next.

• phtjoey - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:28 PM

:-)

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Joey …

I implore you friend to ‘stand down’ from engaging with this ‘hurtful & cruel’ person known as Pat … take care and God speed … your friend, comrade Blomfeld

• patthehockeyfan - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM

By all means, joey. Leave the childish name-calling to your friend in Vancouver.

Cow? Really, blom? That’s the ‘best’ you can do? You disappoint me.

• blomfeld - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Shut up Pat, you ‘unpleasant’ livestock !

3. shanekelleytx - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I’d be pissed for sure. How could you not be? The driver did multiple things wrong and possibly ended Sarich’s career. Sarich wouldn’t be wrong to hold a grudge.

• pfhockey - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Could’ve ended his life. Good thing he seems to be doing fine.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM

it’s called ‘turning the other cheek’ you stupid door knob !

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive