Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
It probably doesn’t wash away the bitterness of being banned from the gold-medal game, but Nicklas Backstrom finally received his silver medal for representing Sweden in the 2014 Winter Olympics on Friday. That ended about a six-month wait following that controversy.
Russian Machine Never Breaks passes along a translation of a Swedish interview in which the Washington Capitals center reveals that he feels some “small vindication” by receiving his medal. The fun part comes when he was asked about what he plans to do with the silver medal, though:
What will you do with the silver medal?
NB: I’m sleeping with it tonight, that I’ll do. In retrospect, I feel like I appreciate it more now than what I would have done with it right after the final. Then you are so disappointed that it’s hard to be happy about the silver. Now I see it in a different way. It is still not too many people that have an Olympic silver.
(Almost sounds like Sidney Crosby sleeping with the Stanley Cup to some degree, although Backstrom’s rival ended up with gold from Sochi …)
In case you’re wondering how the 26-year-old’s offseason training is going, the interview reveals that he’s taken up Crossfit, even if he experienced some workouts that left him tasting blood. Click here or here for more on that and is feelings on that failed test.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)