Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
It probably doesn’t wash away the bitterness of being banned from the gold-medal game, but Nicklas Backstrom finally received his silver medal for representing Sweden in the 2014 Winter Olympics on Friday. That ended about a six-month wait following that controversy.
Russian Machine Never Breaks passes along a translation of a Swedish interview in which the Washington Capitals center reveals that he feels some “small vindication” by receiving his medal. The fun part comes when he was asked about what he plans to do with the silver medal, though:
What will you do with the silver medal?
NB: I’m sleeping with it tonight, that I’ll do. In retrospect, I feel like I appreciate it more now than what I would have done with it right after the final. Then you are so disappointed that it’s hard to be happy about the silver. Now I see it in a different way. It is still not too many people that have an Olympic silver.
(Almost sounds like Sidney Crosby sleeping with the Stanley Cup to some degree, although Backstrom’s rival ended up with gold from Sochi …)
In case you’re wondering how the 26-year-old’s offseason training is going, the interview reveals that he’s taken up Crossfit, even if he experienced some workouts that left him tasting blood. Click here or here for more on that and is feelings on that failed test.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)