Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
It probably doesn’t wash away the bitterness of being banned from the gold-medal game, but Nicklas Backstrom finally received his silver medal for representing Sweden in the 2014 Winter Olympics on Friday. That ended about a six-month wait following that controversy.
Russian Machine Never Breaks passes along a translation of a Swedish interview in which the Washington Capitals center reveals that he feels some “small vindication” by receiving his medal. The fun part comes when he was asked about what he plans to do with the silver medal, though:
What will you do with the silver medal?
NB: I’m sleeping with it tonight, that I’ll do. In retrospect, I feel like I appreciate it more now than what I would have done with it right after the final. Then you are so disappointed that it’s hard to be happy about the silver. Now I see it in a different way. It is still not too many people that have an Olympic silver.
(Almost sounds like Sidney Crosby sleeping with the Stanley Cup to some degree, although Backstrom’s rival ended up with gold from Sochi …)
In case you’re wondering how the 26-year-old’s offseason training is going, the interview reveals that he’s taken up Crossfit, even if he experienced some workouts that left him tasting blood. Click here or here for more on that and is feelings on that failed test.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)