It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT

Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs-Detroit Red Wings at Boston Bruins Reuters

Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Boston Bruins.

After falling to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final in 2013, the Boston Bruins entered the season with high expectations. They faced some adversity as one of their key offseason additions, Loui Eriksson, suffered multiple concussions and one of their top defenseman, Dennis Seidenberg, suffered a knee injury that ended his season in December.

Despite that, the Bruins’ regular season couldn’t have gone much better.

Tuukka Rask excelled in the first campaign of his eight-year, $56 million contract, posting a 2.04 GAA and .930 save percentage in 58 games en route to winning the Vezina Trophy. Jarome Iginla, who signed a one-year contract with them for the 2013-14 campaign, also proved to be a great fit with 30 goals and 61 points in 78 contests.

Propelled by superb goaltending and a deep offense, Boston claimed the Presidents’ Trophy with a 54-19-9 record. The Bruins cruised past Detroit in the first round, but ultimately lost a bitter seven-game series against Montreal.

Because of their difficult cap situation, the Bruins watched Iginla sign with Colorado and they also decided to cut ties with Shawn Thornton, who instead signed with Florida. Boston made no move to replace them through the free agent market and was equally quiet on the trade front. Instead, the Bruins are hoping that a healthy season out of Eriksson will help them replace the offense lost by Iginla.

With training camp mere weeks away, they also still need to sign restricted free agents Reilly Smith and Torey Krug.

Although their summer hasn’t been exciting so far, the Bruins remain a well-rounded team that figures to be very competitive in 2014-15.

1. terrier92 - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:05 AM

God Bless the Boston Bruins

Cant wait for Greatest Bruins list

My picks

Orr
    Bourque
    Shore

• bsaures - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Bobby orr is the only person don cherry loves more than his suits.

• nhstateline - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Orr

Milt Schmidt (combined playing/coaching/management career)

Patrice Bergeron.

• nhstateline - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Bergeron’s on my list because I am smart enough to recognize greatness when I’m looking at it. In his own way, he’s better than Espo (who was outstanding no doubt) or most of the other guys I’ve seen play here including Bourque and Neely (both also excellent players). And unlike the latter two, he won the Cup here.

And Orr’s the dominant player of his era (not a fan of the discussion of “who is the greatest player of all time ? The game has gone through distinct eras meaning it’s not a relevant question to understand how the game changed but talk radio likes it) and he changed the game. So he’s clearly the greatest Bruin.

• polegojim - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Great and storied franchise! Love when they’re at the top.

Esposito should be #3

• nhstateline - Aug 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Bergy’s been here longer believe it or not and he’s been part of a core that’s done well for seven years. No knock on Espo but Bergy probably plays his whole career in a Bruin uniform, will go to the HOF and has several more years to play on a team that will be in the mix for a Cup. When it’s all done. Bergy’s number will be retired and he will be regarded as one of the all time greats. Bergy’s also not playing with the single greatest player of his era like Espo was (maybe the best D man for a stretch of it in Chara. Both were great Bruins players though so there’s no wrong answer.

2. andyhark - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:49 AM

it seems every day is boston bruins day on this site

• nhstateline - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Hockey’s not an afterthought or a minor sport in New England and the Bruins are very good right now. The level of interest in things like tv ratings appears to be less than it is because New England has several smaller tv markets but if you put them all together there is a lot of interest.

The idea that the Bruins fell to the depths that they did in fan interest in the middle 2000’s shows that the team wasn’t being run well then more than a lack of interest in the sport around here. Once they brought in Peter Chiarelli and he started doing smart things to make the team better, up the interest went.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Middle 2000’s – as is 2050 something? Just having fun. I’ve been known to seriously dork some too late postings.

• drewsylvania - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Don’t come here often, do you?

3. charastein - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Still bummed they couldn’t swing a deal for Iginla, but what can you do?

Soderberg will be looking to have a breakout season. All the talk about Chara getting “old” will probably motivate him to prove everybody wrong!

Bobby Orr is a living legend and will certainly be the choice for best Bruin. Class act and a role model for any hockey player!

4. ironyisadeadscene - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM

This could turn out to be a fun day….waiting for the pens fans to start trolling.

Orr for best player obviously

• hockey412 - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Giving legitimate opinions in a public comment section is not trolling – I don’t recall many Pens fans trolling B’s articles, but I could be wrong on that – we’ll see. I actually get accused of it b/c I have strong opinions about the B’s culture right now, but that isn’t trolling – that’s giving an opinion that is supported by fact.

Unless you’re a jackwagon that thinks any opinion contrary to yours is trolling, which I’m sure you are not.

Carry on!

• ironyisadeadscene - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM

You are so vain…you probably think my post was about you

• gallyhatch - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Nice life you have there 412.

Constantly crying in the comment sections of Bruins articles. . . . does it not get old for you?

• hockey412 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Gallyhatch, even B’s fans can tell what a d\ck you must be from that comment alone. I wasn’t crying, wasn’t being rude, just had a point to make since the comment called out Pens fans, so I responded. Actually his comment was trolling pens fans, yours is trolling me. Commenting on hockey stuff does not get old, nope – your comments do though. Your poor family.

• gallyhatch - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM

The fact that you troll Bruins articles for fun speaks for itself.

You’ve acknowledged your trolling to get a rise out of Bruins fans on more than one occasion, yet here you are crying about being called a troll. You contradict yourself on a regular basis. That’s not me doing that, that’s you. I don’t make you look like a ‘jackwagon’, you do that yourself.

Your exude the very hypocrisy you’re constantly accusing the Bruins & their fans of.

Seriously, nice life you have there.

• hockey412 - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Again – public comments belong here – we can disagree. I can play devils advocate, and I love to get a rise out of people, sure. That’s not trolling, that’s not hypocrisy, though I’m sure all fans have hypocrititcal tendencies at times (some more than others though, eh?).

But you are sounding like someone that had their feelings hurt. So what, if I think it’s a hypocritical organization, and if I don’t like the culture? You can argue facts to support your opinion the same way I can. If you disagree with me, just say why. I’m a grown man and can’t stand the fact that I’ve even argued THIS much about what the term “trolling” is. I’m going to go ahead and give you a check mark in the “not a fan of mine” column, and move on. There’s new articles to “troll”. I SAID CARRY ON, SIR.

• gallyhatch - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Stop your crying already.

5. phtjoey - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM

chara’s age is catching up to him. wanting to prove his critics wrong won’t make him younger. father time has caught up to him.

have the bruins made enough changes to match the speed of the habs, TBL, Pens, and NYR? No! Unless they address their lack of speed, and continue to play like thugs, then they can expect an early bounce from the playoffs.

• Moop - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Lack of speed was not the 100% reason they were bounced in the second round. It was honestly a pretty even series, and although they didn’t make any external changes to their roster, there’s some speedy prospects that can step into Iginla and Thornton’s roster spots. Ryan Spooner is the most likely forward prospect to make the team and he can fly. Hopefully anyone but Jordan Caron will play in the other open forward position.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM

They missed 10 wide open nets that a rec hockey league player could have finished. That and missing Sides was the reason why they lost.

6. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Since Bruins fans are submitting potential poll responses in advance, i submit mine – the Bruins will be a division and likely conference contender.

7. blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM

HAPPY BOSTON BRUINS DAY !!!

Friends, many years ago as a youngster growing up in Montreal, the Boston Bruins were my first ever ‘favorite’ team (1966-70) and Bobby Orr was my ever ‘favorite’ player. Today of course my favorite team is the ‘glorious’ Kings of Los Angeles and my favorite player is Jonathan Quick. Nonetheless, that doesn’t prevent me from saying what everyone ‘everywhere’ has always known. Bobby Orr is the ‘greatest’ ever !!! :)

*** Top 5 Bruins of All Time ***

1) Bobby Orr
    2) Phil Esposito
    3) Johhny Bucyk
    4) Milt Schmidt
    5) Wayne Cashman

• shaundre93 - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I’m still hoping for a Kings Bruins final before the teams change too much. That would be some old time hockey!

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I agree friend, that would be marvelous ! :)

• mgp1219 - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Blomfeld,
      Just go away, once and for all. At least stay out of anything to do with the Bruins; we don’t want you here.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM

“Just go away, once and for all” …

SURE ADOLF, WHATEVER YOU SAY !!!

You know friends, one of the things which I’ve always admired about us LA Kings is the fact that we’re a ‘free & democratic’ movement based on the ideals of ‘inclusivity & decency’ to all. Never in a million years will you ever see a fellow hockey fan visiting a LA Kings article being verbally ‘assaulted’ by us the way this mental case ‘mpg1219′ is trying to do to me here.

Newsflash ‘Miles Per Gallon’ … your attempts to harm me are akin to some fool throwing tennis balls at the 12″ thick hull of battleship Bismarck !!!

On the contrary, what you’ll find at a LA Kings article is usually ‘open, warm and welcoming’ debate by us King’s fans, where we seek to engage those with differing opinions with a ‘sobering’ blend of reason, empathy and common respect. Malevolence does not exist in our dictionary and we ‘reject’ all those who present themselves as ‘agents’ of upset.

Newsflash ‘Miles Per Gallon’ … your attempts top harm me here have achieved ‘nothing’ but bring you to the attention of my gun captains !!!

When I first came here to PHT back in January of 2012, suffice it to say that it was a ‘very’ barren landscape in terms of ‘listening ears’ for the message which I was brought here to tell. And yet even then in those early ‘heady’ days when we King’s amounted to nothing more than a ‘paltry’ handful here at PHT, we nonetheless ‘always’ adhered to and never strayed from the timeless principles of ardor, conviction and compassion.

Newsflash ‘Miles Per Gallon’ … you will now reap ‘that’ which you’ve sown !!!

_________________________________________________________

WE KINGS ARE GOING FOR ‘3’ AND YOU BRUINS ARE GONNA HELP US !!!

• 19to77 - Aug 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Blom, no Ray Bourque on that list? I’m not saying put him at #1 or anything, but he’s at least top 3-4.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I hear you friend, however let us not forget that Bourque ‘failed’ to deliver the cup during his ’21 x years’ tenure in Boston. And sadly in the end, he chose the path of ‘career prostitution’ by selling his services to the highest bidder at the time in-order to circumvent God’s wishes … :(

8. ironmd778 - Aug 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Espo and Cashman instead of Bourque, Neely, or Bergeron? Uh don’t think so.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM

friend, I believe that you may be ill ? … take care and God speed to you … comrade Blomfeld

9. ronniethec - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM

1. Orr
    2. Forget about it.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

How shall we put this comrade Ron ? …

it’s like, we LA Kings are of a somewhat ‘superior’ bouquet when compared to the rest of the ‘riff raff’ around here, eh ? :)

*** LA Kings SC Championship celebrations / June 14th, 2014 @ ‘Red Square’ Beijing China ***

10. clavette - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM

1 and 1a are bourque and orr
    2 and 2a are espo and neely imo

and neely’s contributions to the team over the past few years hes been in the office have to be considered as well

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM

friend … no doubt you mean well and all, however it may be time for a little ‘swim’ eh ?

“invite the infidel to the River Jordan and there where the current is strongest, push him in so that he may drown like the rat he is” … Psalms 23:6

• bigbrew22 - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Did you forget to take your pills this morning? No one cares about your opinion, but you must get off on the attention, so here’s some more.

Oh and for the normal, rational people on here, Orr as #1 like the majority of you would agree.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Go back to your distillery friend, there where you belong …

“may the agent of discord drown himself in his very own sauces of upset” … Mathew 45:2

• shaundre93 - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Come on now, I enjoy blomfeld when he plays nice. No reason to upset him. That’s when Elvis makes his appearance’s

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM

back of Shaundrel, seriously …

• bigbrew22 - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM

How clever, creating clever little lines with my username! Can’t say I care for the fiction book quotes though…
        But I won’t get into that. This is a hockey site. I love hockey, and if you do too, I guess we can get along.

11. buffaloman70 - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:31 AM

Bobby Orr is the greatest hockey player ever for any team this is from a die hard buffalo fan who hates Boston excellent call on this one

12. paulerhythm - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know if Boston can put up gaudy numbers like last year with standing pat on their roster. Granted, they will get Seidenberg back, Erickson healthy but, losing Iginla and Thornton makes it tough to repeat as President Trophy team. I think they’ll be in a dog fight with Montreal and Tampa Bay for the Atlantic Division.

13. mnwildandcaps8 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM

It is funny that Blom told us that he came to this site in 2012. Hmm that is interesting especially since The Kings won the cup that year.

• blomfeld - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Friend, I believe that I was brought to this website by providence, or God’s will if you prefer …

Flyers have many concerns