Aug 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
About a month ago, Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal underwent vaguely described “core muscle” surgery that may or may not be somewhat like getting a sports hernia treated. He participated in his first informal skate with the team on Friday, and from what he told the Raleigh News & Observer, it sounds like he’s off to a good start.
“I feel good,” he said. “I just want to continue to take steps before (training) camp opens and then look forward to the start of the year.”
The 30-year-old forward explained that the issue resulted from training and wasn’t a nagging issue that plagued his disappointing 2013-14 season. Staal stated that he was believed he was in the best shape of his life* before that ailment came up, but perhaps he was pushing too hard?
This Hurricanes team is tough to peg this season because of players like Staal; one could easily see them crash and burn yet again, yet there’s always the possibility that key core figures will rebound and/or enjoy better health in 2014-15.
There’s also the possibility that new head coach Bill Peters might get more out of this team than former bench boss Kirk Muller did. Staal said that he engaged in a “productive” 45-minute discussion with the new coach back in July, so at least there’s been some dialogue between the two.
Staal’s 61 point output last season was a big disappointment considering that he didn’t really blow away his work from the lockout-abbreviated 2012-13 campaign (61 points in 79 games versus 53 in 48 contests). Staal never dipped below 70 points in a normal campaign aside from his rookie season back in 2003-04, and with his $8.25 million cap hit and his $9.25 million salary for each of the next two seasons, there’s a lot of pressure for Staal to turn things around.
Being close to 100 percent certainly wouldn’t hurt his chances, so this positive update at least prompts some optimism.
* – Please don’t take a shot any time you read that phrase this summer, especially as training camps approach.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)