Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets draft pick Sonny Milano has been one of the most talked about prospects this summer as he weighed his options before choosing to join the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League over of honoring his commitment to Boston College.
There was some thought that Milano had singed or was close to signing an entry-level contract with Columbus, which made him decide to choose the Canadian Hockey League route.
However, speaking to MiHockeyNow, Milano said contract talks between the two sides haven’t even started.
“Maybe a strong start or a strong season will get me that contract, but there hasn’t been any talks yet,” Milano said. “When I was drafted, Columbus said they had no preference one way or the other, that both the OHL and Boston College were good routes. They basically left it up to us to decide as a family.”
Milano, the 16th overall selection by Columbus in June, had 14 goals and 39 points in 25 games during the 2013-14 while with the U.S. National Under-18 team.
The 5-foot-11, 183-pound forward was originally a fourth round pick of the Whalers (81st overall) during the 2012 OHL draft.
There will be a couple of familiar faces for Milano when he joins his OHL team.
Milano and Whalers’ goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic were apart of the American team which won gold at the World U-18 championship. He also played with Whalers’ defenseman Josh Wesley with the NTDP in 2012-13.
“We have a lot of returning players and just a couple new guys, so I’m hoping the chemistry is here from last season and I can be an impact player and find my role quickly,” Milano said. “I want to produce and I want to make an impact.
“I want to be a leader and whatever I do, it’s to put the team first.”
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
May 21, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Recently represented the United States at the worlds.
May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
As many as six new head coaches could still be named.
May 21, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Coaches be getting paid.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)