Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets draft pick Sonny Milano has been one of the most talked about prospects this summer as he weighed his options before choosing to join the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League over of honoring his commitment to Boston College.
There was some thought that Milano had singed or was close to signing an entry-level contract with Columbus, which made him decide to choose the Canadian Hockey League route.
However, speaking to MiHockeyNow, Milano said contract talks between the two sides haven’t even started.
“Maybe a strong start or a strong season will get me that contract, but there hasn’t been any talks yet,” Milano said. “When I was drafted, Columbus said they had no preference one way or the other, that both the OHL and Boston College were good routes. They basically left it up to us to decide as a family.”
Milano, the 16th overall selection by Columbus in June, had 14 goals and 39 points in 25 games during the 2013-14 while with the U.S. National Under-18 team.
The 5-foot-11, 183-pound forward was originally a fourth round pick of the Whalers (81st overall) during the 2012 OHL draft.
There will be a couple of familiar faces for Milano when he joins his OHL team.
Milano and Whalers’ goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic were apart of the American team which won gold at the World U-18 championship. He also played with Whalers’ defenseman Josh Wesley with the NTDP in 2012-13.
“We have a lot of returning players and just a couple new guys, so I’m hoping the chemistry is here from last season and I can be an impact player and find my role quickly,” Milano said. “I want to produce and I want to make an impact.
“I want to be a leader and whatever I do, it’s to put the team first.”
Apr 26, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
That’s a fairly modest increase compared to some of the jumps we’ve seen in the past.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
He has every right to be.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Montreal will now play either Detroit or Tampa Bay.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Oshie thinks the core has “been playing some pretty good games since the playoffs.”
Apr 26, 2015, 7:42 PM EDT
Montreal had a 1-0 lead at the time.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
They got a big task ahead of them.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Habs and Wild look to advance with Game 6 wins.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Minnesota’s earned the right to challenge Chicago again.
Apr 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
He’ll undergo further testing in the not too distant future.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Brian Elliott is on in relief.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
That’s one Allen has to have.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He suffered two concussions this season.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The newly appointed Edmonton executive is already busy in his new role.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Eric Fehr would be ready for the second round.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Philly fired Craig Berube on April 17.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He last played at the 2006 tournament.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play the second half of Friday night’s win.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Chorney and Dumoulin could also head back to Wilkes-Barre for their playoff run.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s been a healthy scratch for three games.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Blues and Sens need wins to force Game 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)