Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets draft pick Sonny Milano has been one of the most talked about prospects this summer as he weighed his options before choosing to join the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League over of honoring his commitment to Boston College.
There was some thought that Milano had singed or was close to signing an entry-level contract with Columbus, which made him decide to choose the Canadian Hockey League route.
However, speaking to MiHockeyNow, Milano said contract talks between the two sides haven’t even started.
“Maybe a strong start or a strong season will get me that contract, but there hasn’t been any talks yet,” Milano said. “When I was drafted, Columbus said they had no preference one way or the other, that both the OHL and Boston College were good routes. They basically left it up to us to decide as a family.”
Milano, the 16th overall selection by Columbus in June, had 14 goals and 39 points in 25 games during the 2013-14 while with the U.S. National Under-18 team.
The 5-foot-11, 183-pound forward was originally a fourth round pick of the Whalers (81st overall) during the 2012 OHL draft.
There will be a couple of familiar faces for Milano when he joins his OHL team.
Milano and Whalers’ goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic were apart of the American team which won gold at the World U-18 championship. He also played with Whalers’ defenseman Josh Wesley with the NTDP in 2012-13.
“We have a lot of returning players and just a couple new guys, so I’m hoping the chemistry is here from last season and I can be an impact player and find my role quickly,” Milano said. “I want to produce and I want to make an impact.
“I want to be a leader and whatever I do, it’s to put the team first.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)