Aug 27, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Having gone the entire summer without a contract, UFA forward Dustin Penner will probably have to accept a training camp invite this fall in order to continue his NHL career.
One team that doesn’t sound interested in extending said invite? Philadelphia.
Despite rumors, it looks like the Flyers will not be offering training camp tryouts to free agent forwards Dustin Penner and Ryan Malone. The latter reportedly pleaded no contest last week on a DUI charge and agreed to a “pretrial diversion program” on charges of cocaine possession earlier this summer. It would be rather shocking to see any NHL club take a flier on him.
When Hextall was told about the Penner rumor specifically he said, “I haven’t heard that.”
Penner, 31, split last season between Anaheim and Washington with mixed results. He had some good stretches with the Ducks — including one where he netted 19 points in 18 games — but faded as the trade deadline approached, and failed to do much after his arrival in Washington. Penner had just one goal and three points in 18 games with the Caps, and was allowed to walk in free agency.
Two-time Stanley Cup winner and four-time 20-goal scorer, Penner has the resume to potentially land a gig this fall… but his issues with weight and conditioning are well-documented, and could prevent him from catching on for a 10th NHL campaign.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)