Aug 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Scott Gomez’s NHL career might end where it began. The forward has agreed to join the New Jersey Devils’ training camp on a tryout basis, per The Star-Ledger.
The Devils took him with the 27th overall pick in the 1998 NHL Entry and he quickly established himself as one of their best players as the Calder Trophy winner in 1999-2000. The Devils won the Stanley Cup that season and were champions again in 2003.
He left the Devils in the summer of 2007 though to sign a seven-year, $51.5 million contract with the New York Rangers. Although he remained effective in the first season of that deal, he began to quickly decline. The Montreal Canadiens took the brunt of his fall as they acquired him in 2009 in a trade that included then-prospect Ryan McDonagh going to New York.
Montreal bought out his contract following the lockout and he has most recently played for Florida where he scored two goals and 12 points in 48 games.
Although he’s still just 34 years old, there’s not a lot of demand for him given his decline.
“He felt he still had a lot of hockey in him and he’s been working out this summer so I told him to come to camp,” Lamoriello said. “There are no promises.”
The Devils already have 14 forwards signed to one-way contracts and some youngsters like Stefan Matteau looking to make the leap, so Gomez is far from a lock to make the team.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Don Sweeney. Busy man.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)