Aug 27, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Bouma, 24, is coming off a breakout campaign in Calgary, during which he posted career highs in almost every statistical category. He scored five goals and 15 points in 78 games, carving himself a niche as a high-energy guy that became one of head coach Bob Hartley’s favorites this season.
Calgary’s third-round pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Bouma led all Flames forwards in blocked shots this year (87), and tied for second among NHL forwards with Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf. Bouma also led all Calgary skaters in hits, with 181, while averaging over 12 minutes per night.
Midway through last season, Hartley called Bouma the club’s most improved player.
“He showed up to camp in great shape, which was absolutely no surprise to us,” Hartley said, per the Calgary Herald. “He’s one of the first guys on the ice at practice. Game day, same thing. He’s committed to getting better.
“He wants to be an NHL player. He’s a gritty player willing to block shots. I have lots of time for Booms. His progression is far from a surprise.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 45
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)