Aug 26, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
There was some confusion last week as to the status of Steve Moore’s civil suit against Todd Bertuzzi — and now a bit of light has been shed on why.
Per TSN, it sounds as though the two sides have agreed on a settlement but remain in negotiations over the confidentiality agreement. More:
[Bertuzzi’s lawyer, Geoff] Adair told TSN that terms of a settlement have been reached and that [Moore’s lawyer, Tim] Danson is negotiating over terms of a confidentiality pact. But even if there are any objections, those would be settled by an arbitrator, Adair said.
Moore is free to discuss Bertuzzi’s assault, and its impact on him over the past decade, Adair said.
“The only thing he cannot disclose are terms of the settlement, “Adair said. “And he cannot disparage Todd.”
Last week, both Adair and the Canucks organization released statements claiming a settlement had been reached, ending a lengthy situation that’s been ongoing since Bertuzzi attacked Moore during a game in 2004. The reported settlement came into question, however, when Moore’s brother, Mark, told TSN there wasn’t a finalized deal in place.
Adair also told TSN that, technically, the civil trial is still on the docket for Ontario Superior Court for Sept. 8 — but once the confidentiality pact has been agreed upon, it will be cleared.
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 21
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 21
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 47
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)