Aug 26, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
There was some confusion last week as to the status of Steve Moore’s civil suit against Todd Bertuzzi — and now a bit of light has been shed on why.
Per TSN, it sounds as though the two sides have agreed on a settlement but remain in negotiations over the confidentiality agreement. More:
[Bertuzzi's lawyer, Geoff] Adair told TSN that terms of a settlement have been reached and that [Moore's lawyer, Tim] Danson is negotiating over terms of a confidentiality pact. But even if there are any objections, those would be settled by an arbitrator, Adair said.
Moore is free to discuss Bertuzzi’s assault, and its impact on him over the past decade, Adair said.
“The only thing he cannot disclose are terms of the settlement, “Adair said. “And he cannot disparage Todd.”
Last week, both Adair and the Canucks organization released statements claiming a settlement had been reached, ending a lengthy situation that’s been ongoing since Bertuzzi attacked Moore during a game in 2004. The reported settlement came into question, however, when Moore’s brother, Mark, told TSN there wasn’t a finalized deal in place.
Adair also told TSN that, technically, the civil trial is still on the docket for Ontario Superior Court for Sept. 8 — but once the confidentiality pact has been agreed upon, it will be cleared.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)