Aug 26, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
There was some confusion last week as to the status of Steve Moore’s civil suit against Todd Bertuzzi — and now a bit of light has been shed on why.
Per TSN, it sounds as though the two sides have agreed on a settlement but remain in negotiations over the confidentiality agreement. More:
[Bertuzzi’s lawyer, Geoff] Adair told TSN that terms of a settlement have been reached and that [Moore’s lawyer, Tim] Danson is negotiating over terms of a confidentiality pact. But even if there are any objections, those would be settled by an arbitrator, Adair said.
Moore is free to discuss Bertuzzi’s assault, and its impact on him over the past decade, Adair said.
“The only thing he cannot disclose are terms of the settlement, “Adair said. “And he cannot disparage Todd.”
Last week, both Adair and the Canucks organization released statements claiming a settlement had been reached, ending a lengthy situation that’s been ongoing since Bertuzzi attacked Moore during a game in 2004. The reported settlement came into question, however, when Moore’s brother, Mark, told TSN there wasn’t a finalized deal in place.
Adair also told TSN that, technically, the civil trial is still on the docket for Ontario Superior Court for Sept. 8 — but once the confidentiality pact has been agreed upon, it will be cleared.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 10
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)