Aug 26, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
With training camp (thankfully) just a few weeks away, the remaining restricted free agents are getting more attention. There’s still plenty of time to get them signed, but the possibility that one or more of the players in limbo will hold out is slowly increasing.
Defenseman Justin Schultz is one of the more noteworthy players without a contract, but the Edmonton Oilers aren’t too concerned yet.
“Stalemate is too strong a word … both parties are listening. We’re very optimistic something will get done (before camp starts Sept. 18),” Oilers senior vice-president of hockey operations Scott Howson told the Edmonton Journal.
Edmonton and Schultz have discussed the possibility of a long-term deal, but at this point a one or two-year contract is far more likely. Schultz, 24, is coming off of his entry-level contract.
With 122 NHL games under his belt, the Oilers see Schultz as a top-four defenseman that is capable of recording more than 40 points per season. His defensive game could use some work though.
Schultz had 11 goals, 33 points, and a minus-22 rating in 74 contests as a sophomore in 2013-14.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)