Aug 26, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
With training camp (thankfully) just a few weeks away, the remaining restricted free agents are getting more attention. There’s still plenty of time to get them signed, but the possibility that one or more of the players in limbo will hold out is slowly increasing.
Defenseman Justin Schultz is one of the more noteworthy players without a contract, but the Edmonton Oilers aren’t too concerned yet.
“Stalemate is too strong a word … both parties are listening. We’re very optimistic something will get done (before camp starts Sept. 18),” Oilers senior vice-president of hockey operations Scott Howson told the Edmonton Journal.
Edmonton and Schultz have discussed the possibility of a long-term deal, but at this point a one or two-year contract is far more likely. Schultz, 24, is coming off of his entry-level contract.
With 122 NHL games under his belt, the Oilers see Schultz as a top-four defenseman that is capable of recording more than 40 points per season. His defensive game could use some work though.
Schultz had 11 goals, 33 points, and a minus-22 rating in 74 contests as a sophomore in 2013-14.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)