Aug 26, 2014, 3:56 PM EST
With training camp (thankfully) just a few weeks away, the remaining restricted free agents are getting more attention. There’s still plenty of time to get them signed, but the possibility that one or more of the players in limbo will hold out is slowly increasing.
Defenseman Justin Schultz is one of the more noteworthy players without a contract, but the Edmonton Oilers aren’t too concerned yet.
“Stalemate is too strong a word … both parties are listening. We’re very optimistic something will get done (before camp starts Sept. 18),” Oilers senior vice-president of hockey operations Scott Howson told the Edmonton Journal.
Edmonton and Schultz have discussed the possibility of a long-term deal, but at this point a one or two-year contract is far more likely. Schultz, 24, is coming off of his entry-level contract.
With 122 NHL games under his belt, the Oilers see Schultz as a top-four defenseman that is capable of recording more than 40 points per season. His defensive game could use some work though.
Schultz had 11 goals, 33 points, and a minus-22 rating in 74 contests as a sophomore in 2013-14.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)