Aug 26, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Vincent Lecavalier was the the center of numerous trade talks this summer, none of which came to fruition.
As such, he’s headed back to Philadelphia this fall as a member of the Flyers, set for a reunion with the head coach he clashed with on occasion last year — Craig Berube, who had some advice for how Lecavalier should deal with the whirlwind last few months (from NJ.com):
“Get over it,” [Berube said].
Berube’s response to apparently being stuck for another season with an aging four-time All-Star whose defensive liabilities outweighed the 20 goals he scored in 69 games as a new Flyer in 2013-14?
“He just needs to change his game a little bit,” Berube said during a recent interview. “We talked about that after the season and he’s willing to do that. And I’m willing to bend a little bit here, too, so I’ve have to do a little bit better job managing him and he’s got to buy into the team.”
Lecavalier, 34, had been on the trade block for most of the summer at, and one point, Flyers brass reportedly OKed his agent to seek out a deal. Ottawa, Florida and Nashville were all rumored suitors, with the Preds apparently being the closest to acquiring the former Lightning captain; a move to Nashville would’ve reunited Lecavalier with former head coach Peter Laviolette, who was turfed just three games into Vinny’s career with the Flyers.
It’ll be interesting to see how Lecavalier and Berube get along moving forward. Last season, Lecavalier was visibly frustrated after a demotion to the team’s fourth line, and Berube seemed disappointed in the production the club was getting from him.
Following the Flyers’ opening-round loss to the Rangers, Lecavalier admitted he had a tough first season in Philadelphia and the Flyers’ brass acknowledged they expected more from him this year.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)