Aug 25, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators made their second significant goaltending commitment of the summer on Monday, agreeing to terms with Craig Anderson on a three-year, $12.6 million contract extension.
Anderson, 33, will carry a $4.2 million cap hit through 2018 (annual salary breakdown: $4.75M, $4.75M, $3.1M) and will be alongside Swedish netminder Robin Lehner for almost the entirety — on July 31, Lehner inked a three-year extension of his own with Ottawa, agreeing to a deal that’ll pay $2.2 million per until 2017.
This is an interesting decision from Sens GM Bryan Murray. Anderson is coming off a disappointing year — injuries and ineffective play limited him to just 53 appearances, in which he went 25-16-8 with a 3.00 GAA and .911 save percentage. The disappointment was magnified given his brilliance during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — Anderson went 12-9-2 with a .941 save percentage and 1.69 GAA, finishing fourth in Vezina and 12th in Hart voting. He was also stellar in that spring’s opening-round playoff series against Montreal, allowing just nine goals on 180 shots — good for a .950 save percentage — in the five-game victory.
The hope, it seems, is that the veteran can reclaim some of that past glory while allowing Lehner — who is still just 23 years old — more time to cut his teeth at the NHL level.
That said, one wonders how close the Swede is to being a No. 1. A former AHL playoff MVP, Lehner is the bigger of the two goalies (at 6-foot-4, 223 pounds) and was stellar down the stretch last year — here’s a look at his last five games of the season:
It’s also worth noting that, between these two deals, Ottawa is carrying $6.4 million in goalies (it’s also worth noting that Anderson got a pretty significant pay bump, up from the $3.1 million he was making annually on his last deal.)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)