Aug 25, 2014, 10:57 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t had the best of summers, but perhaps that would have been forgotten if former captain and seven-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom decided to return as a coach. Head coach Mike Babcock tried to make that happen, but Lidstrom wasn’t ready to return to North America.
“It’s true that he called and asked if I was interested in taking one of the spots as an assistant coach for the upcoming season,” Lidstrom told Sweden’s Sport Expressen, per the QMI Agency‘s translation. “I was very proud of the offer, it was really flattering.”
Lidstrom cited a reluctance to move his family from Sweden as the reason why he turned down Babcock, but he’s not ready to close any doors. He acknowledged that his opinion might change in a few years and if it does, there’s a good chance that Detroit will still be interested in bringing him on board.
The former defenseman spent his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and won the Stanley Cup four times.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)