Aug 25, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Although 33-year-old Craig Anderson will continue to be paid like a starter after inking a three-year, $12.6 million extension that will start with the 2015-16 campaign, he realizes that his role isn’t secure with 23-year-old Robin Lehner on the rise and Anderson isn’t bothered by that.
“Robin and I have gotten along really, really well the last few years,” Anderson told the team’s website. “I’m looking forward to working with him and continuing to help him improve. By him being a better goalie it’s going to help me become a better goalie and we’re going to become a better team because of it. … If I do my job it’ll make him do his job better and when he does his job it’ll make me do my job better.”
Re-signing Anderson was a bit of a gamble given that he’s coming off of a rough campaign where he posted a 3.00 GAA and .911 save percentage in 53 games. At the same time, this move takes some of the pressure off of Lehner and allows the Senators to hedge their bets as promising young goaltenders don’t always grow in the way teams hope.
Lehner also signed a three-year deal worth roughly $6.7 million earlier this summer and the Senators were upfront with him at the time that they were simultaneously negotiating an extension with Anderson.
The Senators finished 27th in the league in goals per game in 2013-14 and while their issues extended far beyond their goaltending, it’s fair to say that Ottawa is hoping to get more out of its netminders next season.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:42 PM EDT
Returned for the third.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Collided with Alex Steen of the Blues.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Gets a lucky bounce off Zach Parise.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Absent from tonight’s game against the Blackhawks.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Was slow to the bench, but remains in the game.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Recovering from a lower body injury.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Abdominal injury hits the center once again.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”
Oct 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Sophomore winger inching closer to a return.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
We debate — Buffalo or Carolina?
Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Played just 5:46 Tuesday in Calgary.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 7
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)