Aug 25, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Although 33-year-old Craig Anderson will continue to be paid like a starter after inking a three-year, $12.6 million extension that will start with the 2015-16 campaign, he realizes that his role isn’t secure with 23-year-old Robin Lehner on the rise and Anderson isn’t bothered by that.
“Robin and I have gotten along really, really well the last few years,” Anderson told the team’s website. “I’m looking forward to working with him and continuing to help him improve. By him being a better goalie it’s going to help me become a better goalie and we’re going to become a better team because of it. … If I do my job it’ll make him do his job better and when he does his job it’ll make me do my job better.”
Re-signing Anderson was a bit of a gamble given that he’s coming off of a rough campaign where he posted a 3.00 GAA and .911 save percentage in 53 games. At the same time, this move takes some of the pressure off of Lehner and allows the Senators to hedge their bets as promising young goaltenders don’t always grow in the way teams hope.
Lehner also signed a three-year deal worth roughly $6.7 million earlier this summer and the Senators were upfront with him at the time that they were simultaneously negotiating an extension with Anderson.
The Senators finished 27th in the league in goals per game in 2013-14 and while their issues extended far beyond their goaltending, it’s fair to say that Ottawa is hoping to get more out of its netminders next season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)