Aug 25, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Although 33-year-old Craig Anderson will continue to be paid like a starter after inking a three-year, $12.6 million extension that will start with the 2015-16 campaign, he realizes that his role isn’t secure with 23-year-old Robin Lehner on the rise and Anderson isn’t bothered by that.
“Robin and I have gotten along really, really well the last few years,” Anderson told the team’s website. “I’m looking forward to working with him and continuing to help him improve. By him being a better goalie it’s going to help me become a better goalie and we’re going to become a better team because of it. … If I do my job it’ll make him do his job better and when he does his job it’ll make me do my job better.”
Re-signing Anderson was a bit of a gamble given that he’s coming off of a rough campaign where he posted a 3.00 GAA and .911 save percentage in 53 games. At the same time, this move takes some of the pressure off of Lehner and allows the Senators to hedge their bets as promising young goaltenders don’t always grow in the way teams hope.
Lehner also signed a three-year deal worth roughly $6.7 million earlier this summer and the Senators were upfront with him at the time that they were simultaneously negotiating an extension with Anderson.
The Senators finished 27th in the league in goals per game in 2013-14 and while their issues extended far beyond their goaltending, it’s fair to say that Ottawa is hoping to get more out of its netminders next season.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)