Aug 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Call it “Cool Icings” if you want, but one former Toronto Maple Leafs skating coach is attempting to grow hockey in Jamaica to the point that they might compete in the Olympics, according to a fascinating story from the Toronto Star.
Graeme Townshend seems like the right man to do it as the first Jamaican-born player. He appeared in 45 NHL games spread over five seasons between the New York Islanders, Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators; he scored 10 points in that span. (His best season came in 1990-91 with Boston when he managed two goals, five assists and seven points … all career-highs.)
Townshend laid out his bold vision to the Toronto Star:
“If we can pull this off, you’re looking at an inspiring story and the idea that anything is accomplishable if you put your mind to it,” Townshend said.
“If Jamaica can get a team in the world championships or the Olympics, that’s like a miracle. It’s something that’s so outlandish that I think it actually might work.”
They might want to keep Disney in the loop on this one, just in case.
The NBC Olympics feed helps to kindle imaginations on such a subject:
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)