Aug 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Call it “Cool Icings” if you want, but one former Toronto Maple Leafs skating coach is attempting to grow hockey in Jamaica to the point that they might compete in the Olympics, according to a fascinating story from the Toronto Star.
Graeme Townshend seems like the right man to do it as the first Jamaican-born player. He appeared in 45 NHL games spread over five seasons between the New York Islanders, Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators; he scored 10 points in that span. (His best season came in 1990-91 with Boston when he managed two goals, five assists and seven points … all career-highs.)
Townshend laid out his bold vision to the Toronto Star:
“If we can pull this off, you’re looking at an inspiring story and the idea that anything is accomplishable if you put your mind to it,” Townshend said.
“If Jamaica can get a team in the world championships or the Olympics, that’s like a miracle. It’s something that’s so outlandish that I think it actually might work.”
They might want to keep Disney in the loop on this one, just in case.
The NBC Olympics feed helps to kindle imaginations on such a subject:
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)