Aug 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
There has been rampant rumors and speculation about the American Hockey League expanding or relocating west in order to accommodate western conference-based NHL clubs.
The latest comes from Howlings.net, where Dave Cantlon suggests the formation of a Pacific Division in the AHL could begin as early as next fall.
In his piece, Cantlon says with the Denver Cutthroats and Arizona Sundogs of the Central Hockey League suspending operations for the 2014-15 season, plans for the two clubs to join the AHL next season are in the works.
Cantlon’s sources say the both the Colorado Avalanche and Arizona Coyotes have purchased AHL franchises – are you seeing a pattern here?
The franchise known as the Cutthroats would be the Avalanche AHL affiliate while the Sundogs would be affiliated with the Coyotes.
This is in addition to, Los Angeles moving its’ AHL affiliation the Manchester Monarchs to Ontario, Calif., the San Jose Sharks relocating its’ affiliate from Worcester to Fresno, Calif. and Winnipeg, which owns the St. John’s IceCaps, relocating to Thunder Bay, Ont.
According to the report, Anaheim would also purchase an AHL team and relocate it to San Diego, Calif.
Cantlon suggests in two years, Vancouver would relocate its team from Utica, NY to Abbotsford, Edmonton will move from Oklahoma City to Bakersfield, Calif. and Calgary would move its team, which begins play in Glens Falls, NY this season.
This process is way over due. Several NHL teams in the Western Conference have their affiliates displaced somewhere in the east making it difficult to recall players on short notice. Prime examples of this are both the Canucks and Flames, who have teams in New York.
With AHL teams closer to their NHL clubs it should also help with attendance in the AHL as fans in the region would have some allegiance to the parent club.
This all makes way too much sense for most parties involved (sorry to those cities losing AHL clubs). It’s about time it happened.
Related: Seabrook returns to hockey
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)