Aug 24, 2014, 6:07 PM EST
It’s one thing to be the captain of an NHL team, but wearing the “C” in Montreal brings on a rare level of scrutiny. Being the Canadiens’ captain is often about a lot more than taking charge of the locker room, as Habs great Yvan Cournoyer explained to the Montreal Gazette on Sunday:
“Being captain is something among the guys. It’s a little bit of everything, on the ice and off for the players, off it for the organization,” Cournoyer said.
“ … I might know that he’s a good player who can do something on the ice, but what can he do to bring the team together? That’s my main thing about the captain. In my day, if things were going bad, or if the players were having problems, it was up to the captain, and the guys together, to figure it out.”
(Check out the rest of the article here, it’s a great read.)
With Brian Gionta out of town, the organization has that question to answer. While many – Cournoyer included – believe that the decision doesn’t need to be rushed, it’s interesting to ponder the options.
For the sake of simplicity, this poll doesn’t include every player on the roster. An “other” option is included in case you really think that the likes of Alexei Emelin and Rene Bourque deserve greater consideration. Feel free to advance arguments in the comments, as well, of course.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (166)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)