Aug 24, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
It’s one thing to be the captain of an NHL team, but wearing the “C” in Montreal brings on a rare level of scrutiny. Being the Canadiens’ captain is often about a lot more than taking charge of the locker room, as Habs great Yvan Cournoyer explained to the Montreal Gazette on Sunday:
“Being captain is something among the guys. It’s a little bit of everything, on the ice and off for the players, off it for the organization,” Cournoyer said.
“ … I might know that he’s a good player who can do something on the ice, but what can he do to bring the team together? That’s my main thing about the captain. In my day, if things were going bad, or if the players were having problems, it was up to the captain, and the guys together, to figure it out.”
(Check out the rest of the article here, it’s a great read.)
With Brian Gionta out of town, the organization has that question to answer. While many – Cournoyer included – believe that the decision doesn’t need to be rushed, it’s interesting to ponder the options.
For the sake of simplicity, this poll doesn’t include every player on the roster. An “other” option is included in case you really think that the likes of Alexei Emelin and Rene Bourque deserve greater consideration. Feel free to advance arguments in the comments, as well, of course.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)