Aug 24, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is a shrewd hockey mind, yet his often-hilariously-simple press conferences hinted at what’s apparently the truth: he’s a farmer at heart.
“Darryl stayed on the family farm, which is what our father always wanted us to do,” Brian Sutter said. “We weren’t raised to be hockey players, we were raised to be farmers.”
One Viking, Alberta local named Denton Quattek said “he’s just a normal farm boy” who would “rather talk about haying and cows than hockey.”
Then again, that farming background might just be a key to being a successful head coach, especially for an NHL team located in the busy city of Los Angeles.
“I do a lot of good hockey thinking out there by myself on the tractor,” Darryl Sutter said. “It clears everything in your head. It’s a peaceful thing.”
If you want a lasting image of what makes him tick, his combined day with the Stanley Cup and ALS Ice Bucket Challenge probably sums things up pretty well:
Humility, hockey and barns … that covers it pretty succinctly right there.
However you view him, the Kings will be pleased if Sutter keeps churning out successful seasons (while the rest of us get to guffaw at all of his simple witticisms).
For more on Sutter staying true to his roots, read that great piece from the Los Angeles Times.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)