Aug 24, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is a shrewd hockey mind, yet his often-hilariously-simple press conferences hinted at what’s apparently the truth: he’s a farmer at heart.
“Darryl stayed on the family farm, which is what our father always wanted us to do,” Brian Sutter said. “We weren’t raised to be hockey players, we were raised to be farmers.”
One Viking, Alberta local named Denton Quattek said “he’s just a normal farm boy” who would “rather talk about haying and cows than hockey.”
Then again, that farming background might just be a key to being a successful head coach, especially for an NHL team located in the busy city of Los Angeles.
“I do a lot of good hockey thinking out there by myself on the tractor,” Darryl Sutter said. “It clears everything in your head. It’s a peaceful thing.”
If you want a lasting image of what makes him tick, his combined day with the Stanley Cup and ALS Ice Bucket Challenge probably sums things up pretty well:
Humility, hockey and barns … that covers it pretty succinctly right there.
However you view him, the Kings will be pleased if Sutter keeps churning out successful seasons (while the rest of us get to guffaw at all of his simple witticisms).
For more on Sutter staying true to his roots, read that great piece from the Los Angeles Times.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)