Aug 24, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is a shrewd hockey mind, yet his often-hilariously-simple press conferences hinted at what’s apparently the truth: he’s a farmer at heart.
“Darryl stayed on the family farm, which is what our father always wanted us to do,” Brian Sutter said. “We weren’t raised to be hockey players, we were raised to be farmers.”
One Viking, Alberta local named Denton Quattek said “he’s just a normal farm boy” who would “rather talk about haying and cows than hockey.”
Then again, that farming background might just be a key to being a successful head coach, especially for an NHL team located in the busy city of Los Angeles.
“I do a lot of good hockey thinking out there by myself on the tractor,” Darryl Sutter said. “It clears everything in your head. It’s a peaceful thing.”
If you want a lasting image of what makes him tick, his combined day with the Stanley Cup and ALS Ice Bucket Challenge probably sums things up pretty well:
Humility, hockey and barns … that covers it pretty succinctly right there.
However you view him, the Kings will be pleased if Sutter keeps churning out successful seasons (while the rest of us get to guffaw at all of his simple witticisms).
For more on Sutter staying true to his roots, read that great piece from the Los Angeles Times.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)