Aug 24, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is a shrewd hockey mind, yet his often-hilariously-simple press conferences hinted at what’s apparently the truth: he’s a farmer at heart.
“Darryl stayed on the family farm, which is what our father always wanted us to do,” Brian Sutter said. “We weren’t raised to be hockey players, we were raised to be farmers.”
One Viking, Alberta local named Denton Quattek said “he’s just a normal farm boy” who would “rather talk about haying and cows than hockey.”
Then again, that farming background might just be a key to being a successful head coach, especially for an NHL team located in the busy city of Los Angeles.
“I do a lot of good hockey thinking out there by myself on the tractor,” Darryl Sutter said. “It clears everything in your head. It’s a peaceful thing.”
If you want a lasting image of what makes him tick, his combined day with the Stanley Cup and ALS Ice Bucket Challenge probably sums things up pretty well:
Humility, hockey and barns … that covers it pretty succinctly right there.
However you view him, the Kings will be pleased if Sutter keeps churning out successful seasons (while the rest of us get to guffaw at all of his simple witticisms).
For more on Sutter staying true to his roots, read that great piece from the Los Angeles Times.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 10
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 23
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 11
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 66
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (74)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)