Aug 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Ottawa Senators.
For two straight seasons, the Ottawa Senators seemed to overachieve either by defying expectations or a stunning array of injuries. Everything seemed to shape up for the Sens to be a dark horse candidate in 2013-14 … but instead, everything just went dark.
The Senators ended the season 37-31-14 by way of a strong finish (five wins in a row, 8-2-0 in their last 10 games). Perhaps as much as anything else, 2013-14 argued that the Senators were hoisted up by great goaltending in head coach Paul MacLean’s first two seasons; with netminding that was awful-to-mediocre, Ottawa sagged noticeably overall.
Next season seems like a fork in the road for this Senators team. Kyle Turris gets a chance to prove that he’s a No. 1 center in the NHL. Bobby Ryan will either cement his status as a long-term fixture or find himself hitting the reset button once more, as he’s currently slated for a contract year (Ottawa avoided such a situation with Clarke MacArthur, so maybe Ryan’s next?).
The goaltending situation remains intriguing, to boot. As much as Robin Lehner‘s contract extension implies that he’s the future in goal, the team is at least saying the right things about keeping Craig Anderson around. Either way, they’re banking on much better seasons from that duo.
Of course, if Erik Karlsson can regain his Norris Trophy form from 2011-12 (rather than just his still very good form post-frightening-injury), this team could be more of a contender than many expect.
Then again, the Sens fans could just as easily be dreaming of top 2015 NHL Draft prospects in early 2015 for all we know. This team is just that much of a riddle (which is why Senators day could be a fun one on PHT).
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)