Aug 23, 2014, 3:08 PM EST
The Calgary Flames announced Saturday that they’ve signed free agent forward Devin Setoguchi to a one-year contract.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the deal carries an annual average value of $750,000.
CGY signs Devin Setoguchi. One year. $750K AAV.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) August 23, 2014
Setoguchi, an Alberta native, spent the 2013-14 season with the Winnipeg Jets where he scored 11 goals and 27 points in 75 games.
In 459 career NHL games with the San Jose Sharks, Minnesota Wild and Winnipeg, the 27-year-old has 127 goals and 122 assists.
The 6-foot, 200-pound right winger was originally a first-round pick (8th overall) by the Sharks in 2005.
This is a low-risk deal for the Flames. If Setoguchi can re-gain his scoring touch, which saw him have three consecutive seasons of 20-plus goals with the Sharks, it’ll be a real bargain for Calgary. If not, he’s off the books after this season.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)