Aug 23, 2014, 3:08 PM EST
The Calgary Flames announced Saturday that they’ve signed free agent forward Devin Setoguchi to a one-year contract.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the deal carries an annual average value of $750,000.
CGY signs Devin Setoguchi. One year. $750K AAV.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) August 23, 2014
Setoguchi, an Alberta native, spent the 2013-14 season with the Winnipeg Jets where he scored 11 goals and 27 points in 75 games.
In 459 career NHL games with the San Jose Sharks, Minnesota Wild and Winnipeg, the 27-year-old has 127 goals and 122 assists.
The 6-foot, 200-pound right winger was originally a first-round pick (8th overall) by the Sharks in 2005.
This is a low-risk deal for the Flames. If Setoguchi can re-gain his scoring touch, which saw him have three consecutive seasons of 20-plus goals with the Sharks, it’ll be a real bargain for Calgary. If not, he’s off the books after this season.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 7
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2