Aug 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are so close to having all their business wrapped up for the summer.
The team has one restricted free agent left to re-sign in defenseman Tyson Barrie. At 23 years old, he’s got a bright future ahead of him and showed the Avs how vital he can be last season.
According to Colorado’s president of hockey operations Joe Sakic, they’ll have Barrie back in the fold sooner than not as Mike Chambers of The Denver Post shared.
“I’m confident he’ll be here,” Sakic said. That sentiment from Sakic isn’t any different from what he said a month ago when he was “confident” they would get a deal done.
Last season, Barrie had a breakout season with 13 goals and 38 points in 64 games. He was a key player for them in the first round of the playoffs against the Minnesota Wild until he was taken out of action by Matt Cooke.
With the Avs not making any big moves on defense in the offseason, they’re banking on Barrie to come back from his knee injury in full health and to pick up where he left off.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 10
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)