Aug 22, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
After being ushered in as the Jets’ head coach in January, Paul Maurice finally had time to relocate his family to Winnipeg this summer.
Talking to JetsTV, Maurice says he’s settling in nicely in the Manitoba capital after signing a new four-year extension in April.
“It was a lot of travelling early on. We got (here) about the middle of July and never really left,” he said. “We settled into Winnipeg, found a place to live, got the kids in school – all those things that parents understand you’ve got to go through.
“Now we’re here. We’ve been here for quite some time and really enjoyed the summer.”
Maurice, 47, knows a thing or two about moving his family around.
The Ontario native coached the Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes franchise from 1995-2003 leading the Canes to a Stanley Cup final appearance in 2002. After a stint with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, Maurice took over the coaching duties of the parent club, the Maple Leafs, from 2006-08. But after two consecutive years of missing the playoffs, he was fired.
In 2008, Maurice returned to Carolina to take over from Peter Laviolette, who had replaced him in 2003.
Maurice also spent a year overseas coaching in the KHL.
“For people that have moved a lot, like our family, they certainly understand. There’s so much that goes into just the logistics in getting your family set up,” said Maurice.
He’s also looking forward to getting on the ice with his kids and their teams.
“I like to get out on the with them, I’m not sure that I coach them a whole lot, as a matter of fact I’m sure I don’t, but I like to get on the ice when they’re on the ice,” said Maurice. “When I get a chance to do that, that’s been a lot of fun.”
Maurice better enjoy the time with his family because come October, he’s got the tall task of bringing playoff hockey back to Winnipeg. The Jets/Atlanta Thrashers organization has not qualified for the postseason since their lone appearance in 2007.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)