Aug 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma might have some hard feelings after being let go by the Pittsburgh Penguins this summer, but he certainly didn’t air those grievances during his first newspaper interview since that happened. Instead, he pretty much raved about what once was to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
“I think we were a model,” Bylsma said. “We had stability, great stability. From ownership, from within the organization, with our players. I was fortunate to coach in a stable situation, and I shared that vision with my general manager — and I coached for a great general manager.”
Bylsma deemed former Penguins GM Ray Shero either the best in the league or at least one of the top three. It’s easy to see why he looks back at his time pretty fondly (at least on the record), as many seem to forget just how much that group accomplished, even with series injuries in just about every full season involving the Bylsma – Shero combo.
Some other interesting takeaways:
- He also told Rossi that he knew right away that Pittsburgh’s Game 7 defeat at the hands of the New York Rangers would mark his last time behind the team’s bench.
- Most importantly, it doesn’t sound like he’s in a rush to find a new job, and he doesn’t believe that the Penguins intentionally stalled to keep him from getting a new one (say, with their noted rivals the Washington Capitals).
- It’s understandable that Bylsma doesn’t want to merely take the first opportunity he receives. Rossi points out that he’ll receive $4 million from the Penguins during the next two years, giving him plenty of leeway to save up and enjoy the less stressful life that comes with being a TV analyst.
- One intriguing theme from his former players was that Bylsma seemed to keep them on their toes with different strategies and tweaks, sometimes in the same game. That may or may not defy certain criticisms of his strategies (although obviously he might have handled the Penguins differently than the U.S. Olympic team anyway).
However you may feel about the Penguins’ postseason disappointments, it’s a bit confounding that Bylsma didn’t end up with one of the league’s 30 head coaching jobs. Then again, from the sound of things, maybe he’s looking for the right fit.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)