Aug 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma might have some hard feelings after being let go by the Pittsburgh Penguins this summer, but he certainly didn’t air those grievances during his first newspaper interview since that happened. Instead, he pretty much raved about what once was to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
“I think we were a model,” Bylsma said. “We had stability, great stability. From ownership, from within the organization, with our players. I was fortunate to coach in a stable situation, and I shared that vision with my general manager — and I coached for a great general manager.”
Bylsma deemed former Penguins GM Ray Shero either the best in the league or at least one of the top three. It’s easy to see why he looks back at his time pretty fondly (at least on the record), as many seem to forget just how much that group accomplished, even with series injuries in just about every full season involving the Bylsma – Shero combo.
Some other interesting takeaways:
- He also told Rossi that he knew right away that Pittsburgh’s Game 7 defeat at the hands of the New York Rangers would mark his last time behind the team’s bench.
- Most importantly, it doesn’t sound like he’s in a rush to find a new job, and he doesn’t believe that the Penguins intentionally stalled to keep him from getting a new one (say, with their noted rivals the Washington Capitals).
- It’s understandable that Bylsma doesn’t want to merely take the first opportunity he receives. Rossi points out that he’ll receive $4 million from the Penguins during the next two years, giving him plenty of leeway to save up and enjoy the less stressful life that comes with being a TV analyst.
- One intriguing theme from his former players was that Bylsma seemed to keep them on their toes with different strategies and tweaks, sometimes in the same game. That may or may not defy certain criticisms of his strategies (although obviously he might have handled the Penguins differently than the U.S. Olympic team anyway).
However you may feel about the Penguins’ postseason disappointments, it’s a bit confounding that Bylsma didn’t end up with one of the league’s 30 head coaching jobs. Then again, from the sound of things, maybe he’s looking for the right fit.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)