Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Ryan is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and Senators GM Bryan Murray knows they’d be better off keeping him in the fold as he told the Senators’ website on Wednesday.
“I think all of these players that are going into their last year around the League, some of them will sign early because of the situation and the contract they’re getting. Other people will wait a little bit,” Murray said. “We’ve talked to Bobby at length through his agents. I believe it will take until he comes to Ottawa for training camp to continue the discussions. He’s one of the next guys we’re definitely going to try to keep here.”
Ryan, 27, is coming off his first season in Ottawa after being acquired from the Anaheim Ducks. In 70 games he had 23 goals and 48 points – his worst full season in since entering the NHL. After four straight 30+ goal seasons with the Ducks, adjusting to life in Ottawa was apparently a bit tricky.
With Ryan entering the final year of his deal, a big performance would go a long way to helping boost any offers he might get – whether they’re from the Sens or not.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)