Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Ryan is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and Senators GM Bryan Murray knows they’d be better off keeping him in the fold as he told the Senators’ website on Wednesday.
“I think all of these players that are going into their last year around the League, some of them will sign early because of the situation and the contract they’re getting. Other people will wait a little bit,” Murray said. “We’ve talked to Bobby at length through his agents. I believe it will take until he comes to Ottawa for training camp to continue the discussions. He’s one of the next guys we’re definitely going to try to keep here.”
Ryan, 27, is coming off his first season in Ottawa after being acquired from the Anaheim Ducks. In 70 games he had 23 goals and 48 points – his worst full season in since entering the NHL. After four straight 30+ goal seasons with the Ducks, adjusting to life in Ottawa was apparently a bit tricky.
With Ryan entering the final year of his deal, a big performance would go a long way to helping boost any offers he might get – whether they’re from the Sens or not.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 9
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 68
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)