Aug 20, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
Kevin Hayes is on his way to the Big Apple.
On Tuesday, various outlets (see here and here and here and here) reported that Hayes — the former Boston College standout taken 24th overall by Chicago at the ’10 draft — has agreed to sign with the New York Rangers, ending a long, drawn-out saga in the process.
UPDATE: Rangers make the signing official.
Hayes had consistently balked at signing in Chicago despite the ‘Hawks drafting him out of high school four years ago, ahead of the likes of Evgeny Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle and Emerson Etem. Instead, he completed a stellar career at BC, then simply allowed time to run out on his draft rights — on Aug. 15, the deadline for the ‘Hawks to sign Hayes passed, making him an unrestricted free agent in the process.
And now he’ll be reunited with one of his former running mates in New York.
Budding Rangers power forward Chris Kreider, who finished 10th in Calder voting last year, spent two years as Hayes’ teammate at BC — the pair were linemates during Hayes’ freshman year and combined to help the Eagles capture the Frozen Four championship in 2012.
The move to New York also makes sense from an opportunity standpoint. Whereas Hayes would’ve had a hard time cracking Chicago’s loaded forward corps, he’ll now look to slot into a Rangers lineup that lost the services of Brad Richards, Benoit Pouliot, Brian Boyle and Derek Dorsett this offseason. While the Rangers did bring in a few veterans on the cheap (Tanner Glass, Lee Stempniak, Matthew Lombardi, Chris Mueller), Hayes should be right in the thick of competition for playing time due to his combination of size — he goes 6-foot-4, 216 pounds — and potential scoring ability. He finished second in the country in points last year, notching 65 in 40 games.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)