Aug 20, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Kevin Hayes is on his way to the Big Apple.
On Tuesday, various outlets (see here and here and here and here) reported that Hayes — the former Boston College standout taken 24th overall by Chicago at the ’10 draft — has agreed to sign with the New York Rangers, ending a long, drawn-out saga in the process.
UPDATE: Rangers make the signing official.
Hayes had consistently balked at signing in Chicago despite the ‘Hawks drafting him out of high school four years ago, ahead of the likes of Evgeny Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle and Emerson Etem. Instead, he completed a stellar career at BC, then simply allowed time to run out on his draft rights — on Aug. 15, the deadline for the ‘Hawks to sign Hayes passed, making him an unrestricted free agent in the process.
And now he’ll be reunited with one of his former running mates in New York.
Budding Rangers power forward Chris Kreider, who finished 10th in Calder voting last year, spent two years as Hayes’ teammate at BC — the pair were linemates during Hayes’ freshman year and combined to help the Eagles capture the Frozen Four championship in 2012.
The move to New York also makes sense from an opportunity standpoint. Whereas Hayes would’ve had a hard time cracking Chicago’s loaded forward corps, he’ll now look to slot into a Rangers lineup that lost the services of Brad Richards, Benoit Pouliot, Brian Boyle and Derek Dorsett this offseason. While the Rangers did bring in a few veterans on the cheap (Tanner Glass, Lee Stempniak, Matthew Lombardi, Chris Mueller), Hayes should be right in the thick of competition for playing time due to his combination of size — he goes 6-foot-4, 216 pounds — and potential scoring ability. He finished second in the country in points last year, notching 65 in 40 games.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
But how much public money will be required?
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 6
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)