Aug 20, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Kevin Hayes is on his way to the Big Apple.
On Tuesday, various outlets (see here and here and here and here) reported that Hayes — the former Boston College standout taken 24th overall by Chicago at the ’10 draft — has agreed to sign with the New York Rangers, ending a long, drawn-out saga in the process.
UPDATE: Rangers make the signing official.
Hayes had consistently balked at signing in Chicago despite the ‘Hawks drafting him out of high school four years ago, ahead of the likes of Evgeny Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle and Emerson Etem. Instead, he completed a stellar career at BC, then simply allowed time to run out on his draft rights — on Aug. 15, the deadline for the ‘Hawks to sign Hayes passed, making him an unrestricted free agent in the process.
And now he’ll be reunited with one of his former running mates in New York.
Budding Rangers power forward Chris Kreider, who finished 10th in Calder voting last year, spent two years as Hayes’ teammate at BC — the pair were linemates during Hayes’ freshman year and combined to help the Eagles capture the Frozen Four championship in 2012.
The move to New York also makes sense from an opportunity standpoint. Whereas Hayes would’ve had a hard time cracking Chicago’s loaded forward corps, he’ll now look to slot into a Rangers lineup that lost the services of Brad Richards, Benoit Pouliot, Brian Boyle and Derek Dorsett this offseason. While the Rangers did bring in a few veterans on the cheap (Tanner Glass, Lee Stempniak, Matthew Lombardi, Chris Mueller), Hayes should be right in the thick of competition for playing time due to his combination of size — he goes 6-foot-4, 216 pounds — and potential scoring ability. He finished second in the country in points last year, notching 65 in 40 games.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)