Aug 20, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
Kevin Hayes is on his way to the Big Apple.
On Tuesday, various outlets (see here and here and here and here) reported that Hayes — the former Boston College standout taken 24th overall by Chicago at the ’10 draft — has agreed to sign with the New York Rangers, ending a long, drawn-out saga in the process.
UPDATE: Rangers make the signing official.
Hayes had consistently balked at signing in Chicago despite the ‘Hawks drafting him out of high school four years ago, ahead of the likes of Evgeny Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle and Emerson Etem. Instead, he completed a stellar career at BC, then simply allowed time to run out on his draft rights — on Aug. 15, the deadline for the ‘Hawks to sign Hayes passed, making him an unrestricted free agent in the process.
And now he’ll be reunited with one of his former running mates in New York.
Budding Rangers power forward Chris Kreider, who finished 10th in Calder voting last year, spent two years as Hayes’ teammate at BC — the pair were linemates during Hayes’ freshman year and combined to help the Eagles capture the Frozen Four championship in 2012.
The move to New York also makes sense from an opportunity standpoint. Whereas Hayes would’ve had a hard time cracking Chicago’s loaded forward corps, he’ll now look to slot into a Rangers lineup that lost the services of Brad Richards, Benoit Pouliot, Brian Boyle and Derek Dorsett this offseason. While the Rangers did bring in a few veterans on the cheap (Tanner Glass, Lee Stempniak, Matthew Lombardi, Chris Mueller), Hayes should be right in the thick of competition for playing time due to his combination of size — he goes 6-foot-4, 216 pounds — and potential scoring ability. He finished second in the country in points last year, notching 65 in 40 games.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)