Aug 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a year since Alexander Burmistrov bolted the Winnipeg Jets for the KHL but he may be looking to make a return to North America. He just may not want to do it in Winnipeg.
Slava Malamud of sportsexpress.ru appeared on TSN Radio in Winnipeg on Monday and said the 2010 first-round pick of the Atlanta Thrashers may be looking to come back.
“He said that he knows that the Jets were looking to trade him, and if that’s the case then he wouldn’t mind it as long as he comes back to the NHL,” Malamud said. “He’s being kind of diplomatic there, but the vibe I caught from that exchange when I read it in the original Russian was that he’s not too hot on the idea of coming back to Winnipeg, and he might want to try his luck somewhere else.”
When Burmistrov was here, he famously clashed with then Jets head coach Claude Noel. Burmistrov’s agent said Noel was the reason he headed back to Russia but Noel said he never had any issues with the now 22-year-old center. Burmistrov later blamed Noel and former Jets forward Olli Jokinen for his struggles in Winnipeg.
Burmistrov has already said he’ll be playing in Russia again next season, but after that a return to the NHL could happen in 2015-16. Should the Jets deal his rights, they’d be selling about as low as you can get for a guy who struggled in three seasons in the NHL before leaving for the KHL.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)