Aug 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Some big news out of the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore civil suit — according to Moore’s brother, Mark, the former Colorado Avalanche forward hasn’t agreed to any sort of settlement with the Bertuzzi camp.
From TSN (Updated):
“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.
Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.
“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”
This development comes just hours after Bertuzzi’s lawyer, Geoff Adair, told ESPN a deal had been reached between the two to settle out of court, avoiding what could’ve be an explosive civil trial.
“Suffice it to say, Todd Bertuzzi is happy this has arrived at a resolution, as I’m sure all parties are,” Adair said.
That was followed by an e-mail from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly to CBC, expressing relief that the incident had been closed.
“We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future,” Daly wrote.
Per TSN, the league isn’t party to the case — and it’s worth noting that Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has yet to comment publicly.
It remains unclear what’s preventing this deal from getting done, or why there’s such a discrepancy between the two camps on resolution. It’s possible the issue could be financial compensation. Back in early July, reports broke that Moore was seeking $68 million in damages — up from the original $38 million — stemming from the 2004 on-ice attack in which Bertuzzi jumped Moore from behind and slammed him to the ice.
Moore suffered a concussion and three fractured vertebrae in the wake of the attack, and hasn’t played hockey since.
Regarding the dollar figures, it’s worth noting that in February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to $47 million (per CapGeek). That contract expired on July 1, however, and Bertuzzi — as alluded to above — is now currently an unsigned UFA.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)