Aug 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Some big news out of the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore civil suit — according to Moore’s brother, Mark, the former Colorado Avalanche forward hasn’t agreed to any sort of settlement with the Bertuzzi camp.
From TSN (Updated):
“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.
Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.
“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”
This development comes just hours after Bertuzzi’s lawyer, Geoff Adair, told ESPN a deal had been reached between the two to settle out of court, avoiding what could’ve be an explosive civil trial.
“Suffice it to say, Todd Bertuzzi is happy this has arrived at a resolution, as I’m sure all parties are,” Adair said.
That was followed by an e-mail from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly to CBC, expressing relief that the incident had been closed.
“We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future,” Daly wrote.
Per TSN, the league isn’t party to the case — and it’s worth noting that Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has yet to comment publicly.
It remains unclear what’s preventing this deal from getting done, or why there’s such a discrepancy between the two camps on resolution. It’s possible the issue could be financial compensation. Back in early July, reports broke that Moore was seeking $68 million in damages — up from the original $38 million — stemming from the 2004 on-ice attack in which Bertuzzi jumped Moore from behind and slammed him to the ice.
Moore suffered a concussion and three fractured vertebrae in the wake of the attack, and hasn’t played hockey since.
Regarding the dollar figures, it’s worth noting that in February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to $47 million (per CapGeek). That contract expired on July 1, however, and Bertuzzi — as alluded to above — is now currently an unsigned UFA.
Nov 29, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
Buffalo scored the game-winner during the ensuing power play.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:59 PM EST
Alex Pietrangelo had 10 shots on goal, which was almost as much as Edmonton.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Ottawa has a rough schedule ahead of it.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:07 PM EST
The Red Wings have now won three straight contests.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Hope seems like a distant memory.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
They’ve moved past their disappointing 2013-14 campaign.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
Pittsburgh has been dominant outside of its division.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
Not his finest moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
He’s also approaching fifth place on the points leaderboard.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
You don’t see many goals that look like this.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)