Sens’ Karlsson will accept captaincy if offered

Aug 19, 2014, 8:45 PM EST

Erik Karlsson AP

It’s pretty clear Erik Karlsson is the best player the Ottawa Senators currently have.

He led the team in points last season and he won the Norris Trophy in 2012 as the league’s best defenseman at the age of 21.

Now that he’s a regular veteran at 24 years old and the Senators are in need of a new captain with Jason Spezza now in Dallas, many think it’s time for Karlsson to assume that role. As NHL.com shared, he said take the “C” if he’s offered it, but he won’t go out of his way to campaign to get it.

“Obviously it’s something I wouldn’t say no to [but] it’s not something I’m going to ask for,” Karlsson said Monday. “I think whoever takes that decision is going to make the right one and whether it’s me or someone else I think it’s going to be good for the team and good for the organization.”

In translation: “Don’t pick me… Yet.”

Truth is, there aren’t too many other logical candidates if it’s not Karlsson.

Fellow blue liner Chris Phillips is 35 and has been with the team since they took him first overall in 1996. He’s also worn an “A” as the alternate captain for some time now. Of course, so has antagonist forward Chris Neil and that doesn’t seem like he’d win too many other teams over if he was picked.

Defenseman Marc Methot could be a candidate except he’s working on getting an extension done with the team and the Sens have already seen two captains leave town in consecutive years. Add to it that Methot is relatively new to Ottawa (he’s played two seasons there) and we’re back to square one.

It’s either going to be the young guy in Karlsson or the older guy in Phillips.

1. lowenni - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I love watching Karlsson play and one day he could be the best defenseman in the NHL but I wouldn’t give him the captaincy quite yet. Definitely an A, but I think MacArthur (I know he’s only been there one year) or Phillips would be better candidates for the C, and I don’t think either of them will be there for another three years when Karlsson will definitely be ready for the C.
    C: MacArthur (I feel like phillips is too quiet and not really that good anymore)
    A’s: Karlsson, Phillips, Turris, Neil

2. 19to77 - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I wouldn’t be too surprised if they just went without a captain to open the season and ran it by committee. There’s no clear-cut top candidate on this team. Also, they’re miles from contention. This team could easily be in firesale mode by the trade deadline. In their situation, why not give it a year and see if someone really steps forward and starts fulfilling the role of his own accord?

3. Windmiller4 - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Phillips has been there his whole career, and is that grit/heart & soul player that has been a leader on the sens for years. It should be a no brainier to give him captaincy, but for some reason one of the main considerations for captaincy these days seems to be how many points you put up. Give Karrlson the A and let him get more experience as both a leader and a player, let Phillips retire as a captain, then give Karrlson the C.

4. blomfeld - Aug 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM

WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU ?

well how about ‘personally’ lead the planet’s greatest professional ice hockey team to yet ‘another’ Stanley Cup championship ? :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 19to77 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Did your parents not pay enough attention to you as a child, or is your look-at-me complex a result of the universe in general not paying attention to the Kings franchise until 2012?

• Windmiller4 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:05 AM

I think he’s just some senile old dude who can’t quite figure out internet etiquette, or maybe he has some mental issues. Who knows with this guy. Also, Blom, do us all a favor and spare me your ‘hilarious’ ‘views’ and your ‘relevant’ youtube ‘videos’. See how stupid it looks to not know how to use quotes?

• 19to77 - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Uh… “yes”?

• pr0jecktpat - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Is there a reason why these comment sections have no moderation?

5. purpleguy - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Not sure any NHLer that looks like that deviled-ham guy is qualified to be a captain.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches