Aug 19, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
On Tueday, Ryan Malone took a step towards clearing up his murky legal situation.
The former Lightning winger, who was arrested in April for driving under the influence and possession of cocaine, plead no contest to the DUI charge and agreed to a pre-trial intervention program for the possession charge.
More, from the Tampa Bay Times:
With pre-trial intervention program, Malone’s charge of cocaine possession will be dismissed if he completes requirements.
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) August 19, 2014
Malone, 34, was arrested just prior to Tampa Bay’s opening-round playoff against Montreal and bought out of the final year of his contract in June. According to a police report, Malone told the arresting officer he was “shocked” about possessing cocaine, and “baffled” by its appearance as he’d been wearing the same jeans for three straight days.
With his legal issues potentially behind him, it sounds as though Malone — an unrestricted free agent — will start looking for work. Agent Mike Liut said a couple of teams have expressed interest in the six-time 20-goal scorer and former U.S. Olympian.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)