Aug 19, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
On Tueday, Ryan Malone took a step towards clearing up his murky legal situation.
The former Lightning winger, who was arrested in April for driving under the influence and possession of cocaine, plead no contest to the DUI charge and agreed to a pre-trial intervention program for the possession charge.
More, from the Tampa Bay Times:
With pre-trial intervention program, Malone’s charge of cocaine possession will be dismissed if he completes requirements.
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) August 19, 2014
Malone, 34, was arrested just prior to Tampa Bay’s opening-round playoff against Montreal and bought out of the final year of his contract in June. According to a police report, Malone told the arresting officer he was “shocked” about possessing cocaine, and “baffled” by its appearance as he’d been wearing the same jeans for three straight days.
With his legal issues potentially behind him, it sounds as though Malone — an unrestricted free agent — will start looking for work. Agent Mike Liut said a couple of teams have expressed interest in the six-time 20-goal scorer and former U.S. Olympian.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)