Aug 19, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
On Tueday, Ryan Malone took a step towards clearing up his murky legal situation.
The former Lightning winger, who was arrested in April for driving under the influence and possession of cocaine, plead no contest to the DUI charge and agreed to a pre-trial intervention program for the possession charge.
More, from the Tampa Bay Times:
With pre-trial intervention program, Malone’s charge of cocaine possession will be dismissed if he completes requirements.
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) August 19, 2014
Malone, 34, was arrested just prior to Tampa Bay’s opening-round playoff against Montreal and bought out of the final year of his contract in June. According to a police report, Malone told the arresting officer he was “shocked” about possessing cocaine, and “baffled” by its appearance as he’d been wearing the same jeans for three straight days.
With his legal issues potentially behind him, it sounds as though Malone — an unrestricted free agent — will start looking for work. Agent Mike Liut said a couple of teams have expressed interest in the six-time 20-goal scorer and former U.S. Olympian.
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 5
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 27
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 32
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)