Aug 19, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
On Tueday, Ryan Malone took a step towards clearing up his murky legal situation.
The former Lightning winger, who was arrested in April for driving under the influence and possession of cocaine, plead no contest to the DUI charge and agreed to a pre-trial intervention program for the possession charge.
More, from the Tampa Bay Times:
With pre-trial intervention program, Malone’s charge of cocaine possession will be dismissed if he completes requirements.
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) August 19, 2014
Malone, 34, was arrested just prior to Tampa Bay’s opening-round playoff against Montreal and bought out of the final year of his contract in June. According to a police report, Malone told the arresting officer he was “shocked” about possessing cocaine, and “baffled” by its appearance as he’d been wearing the same jeans for three straight days.
With his legal issues potentially behind him, it sounds as though Malone — an unrestricted free agent — will start looking for work. Agent Mike Liut said a couple of teams have expressed interest in the six-time 20-goal scorer and former U.S. Olympian.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 45
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (45)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)