Aug 18, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Most of the headlines regarding the Columbus Blue Jackets paint a rosy picture, but it sounds like the team has some work to do before retaining important restricted free agent Ryan Johansen. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline describes the negotiations as “chilly as ever.”
Portzline seemingly implies that both sides believe that they have more leverage than maybe they really do.
Really, though, it’s understandable that both sides are at an impasse. The 22-year-old exploded in 2013-14, scoring more goals (33) and points (63) this past season than he had in 2011-12 and 2012-13 combined. His shooting percentage wasn’t outrageously high, either, at 13.9. (That might go down a bit, but it’s not like one out of every five shots resulted in a goal.)
One assumes that Johansen’s side believes he should be paid like a guy who will score 30 goals every season in a long-term deal while the Blue Jackets want him to prove that he can be that kind of scorer for a few more years before they break the bank.
Both parties would probably admit that Johansen missing time – especially regular season games – isn’t ideal, but we’ve seen that happen before. Of course, there have been plenty of instances in which seemingly ugly negotiations end in back-slaps, handshakes and smiles in the matter of a night.
We’ll just have to see how this goes, but so far it sounds like things are moving along slowly.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)