Aug 18, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
Most of the headlines regarding the Columbus Blue Jackets paint a rosy picture, but it sounds like the team has some work to do before retaining important restricted free agent Ryan Johansen. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline describes the negotiations as “chilly as ever.”
Portzline seemingly implies that both sides believe that they have more leverage than maybe they really do.
Really, though, it’s understandable that both sides are at an impasse. The 22-year-old exploded in 2013-14, scoring more goals (33) and points (63) this past season than he had in 2011-12 and 2012-13 combined. His shooting percentage wasn’t outrageously high, either, at 13.9. (That might go down a bit, but it’s not like one out of every five shots resulted in a goal.)
One assumes that Johansen’s side believes he should be paid like a guy who will score 30 goals every season in a long-term deal while the Blue Jackets want him to prove that he can be that kind of scorer for a few more years before they break the bank.
Both parties would probably admit that Johansen missing time – especially regular season games – isn’t ideal, but we’ve seen that happen before. Of course, there have been plenty of instances in which seemingly ugly negotiations end in back-slaps, handshakes and smiles in the matter of a night.
We’ll just have to see how this goes, but so far it sounds like things are moving along slowly.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)