Aug 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs signed first-round draft pick William Nylander to an entry-level contract on Monday. There’s no word on the exact financial terms, but considering the limits of rookie deals, it’s likely to be an affordable deal.
The next situation to watch is what, exactly, happens next for the eighth pick of the 2014 NHL Draft. There are basically three possibilities for his 2014-15 season: he can stay with MODO in Sweden, play with the Leafs’ AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies or make the team outright. All three seem like reasonable choices, so it might just come down to how he performs in training camp.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis hasn’t been shy about praising the 18-year-old’s abilities.
“Not only does William Nylander bring a high level of speed and skill to his game but he has a very strong character on and off the ice,” said Nonis. “We believe he has a very bright future and are happy to have him signed to his first NHL contract.”
The team lists Nylander at 5-foot-11 and 170 lbs., so there might be some thought to giving him a little more time to mature and add weight to his frame. Then again, that speed and skill may just prove be too compelling to resist.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)