Aug 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs signed first-round draft pick William Nylander to an entry-level contract on Monday. There’s no word on the exact financial terms, but considering the limits of rookie deals, it’s likely to be an affordable deal.
The next situation to watch is what, exactly, happens next for the eighth pick of the 2014 NHL Draft. There are basically three possibilities for his 2014-15 season: he can stay with MODO in Sweden, play with the Leafs’ AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies or make the team outright. All three seem like reasonable choices, so it might just come down to how he performs in training camp.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis hasn’t been shy about praising the 18-year-old’s abilities.
“Not only does William Nylander bring a high level of speed and skill to his game but he has a very strong character on and off the ice,” said Nonis. “We believe he has a very bright future and are happy to have him signed to his first NHL contract.”
The team lists Nylander at 5-foot-11 and 170 lbs., so there might be some thought to giving him a little more time to mature and add weight to his frame. Then again, that speed and skill may just prove be too compelling to resist.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)