Aug 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Washington Capitals.
It seems like the typical conclusion of most recent Washington Capitals seasons is to insert the phrase “But then everything ended in disappointment in the playoffs.” When it comes to the 2013-14 campaign, you could stop at “disappointment.”
For the first time since the 2006-07 season, the Capitals failed to even make the playoffs. With that in mind, the organization made a big series of changes, going with a new GM in Brian MacLellan and new head coach in Barry Trotz.
Changing head coaches seems (sadly) quite typical to the 180-friendly Capitals as of late, but changing general managers is a real eyebrow-raiser. George McPhee took over the job in 1997, which is basically represents job security that is unprecedented outside of Nashville (fittingly enough).
Will Braden Holtby break through? Can clashing styles mix in a way that makes for success? There are a lot of interesting storylines for the Caps going forward, which we’ll explore on Monday.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5