Aug 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks addressed their goaltending depth in an interesting way on Monday, agreeing to terms with former goalie Michael Leighton on a one-year deal.
Leighton, 33, was originally a ‘Hawks draftee and appeared in 42 games for Chicago before moving on to Nashville, Carolina and Philadelphia. It was with the Flyers, of course, when Leighton got on a bit of a roll and backstopped the team to the 2010 Stanley Cup Final, going 8-3 with a .916 save percentage and 3.11 GAA before eventually losing to…
The Chicago Blackhawks.
Leighton was, famously, in net one of the most unforgettable goals in ‘Hawks franchise and Stanley Cup history, Patrick Kane‘s OT winner in Game 6:
Leighton wasn’t much of a factor in Philadelphia following that goal, as injuries and ineffective play (along with the Ilya Bryzgalov contract) saw him bounce between the big club and AHL for the following few seasons. In 2013, Leighton left North America entirely and played with HC Donbass of the KHL, going 20-15-6 with a 1.74 GAA and .933 save percentage.
He subsequently signed with the KHL’s expansion club in Sochi, but was released from his contract this summer.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:42 PM EST
A lost campaign for the veteran Sharks forward.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
“People are getting excited for mid-range players.”
Feb 26, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
A couple of tweets are causing a stir in Chicago.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:24 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
But, his agent says the organization has “respected our position of leaving negotiations until after the season.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM EST
“We would love to have him as an Av for a long time.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Willie Desjardins, playing it safe.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
The two teams meet again, just 48 hours after the incident.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:43 PM EST
Just days after he said he’d report to AHL Norfolk.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Has 16 goals and 21 assists this season.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
According to GM Dean Lombardi.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:42 AM EST
“I don’t think you’re going to see an overwhelming number of top-four guys who are going to be available, period.”
Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST
It’s also believed Montreal is keen on Oilers d-man Jeff Petry.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 AM EST
Bobrovsky is getting close to returning from a groin injury, but he’s not ready yet.
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)