Aug 18, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
It’s easy to dismiss Mike Green, especially after the Washington Capitals added Matt Niskanen to the mix, but he could lose or gain quite a few millions depending upon how he performs during the 2014-15 season.
Remember when Green’s point totals were downplayed in Norris Trophy considerations? That seems like quite a while ago, and to some extent it’s true. The 28-year-old has generated more modest numbers the last four seasons and, to be fair, a 38-point campaign would be a nice year for a healthy number of blueliners, but for Green it’s still a disappointment.
Niskanen (aka the guy who essentially replaces Green in many peoples’ eyes) provides ample evidence that a single season can amplify a defenseman’s status dramatically, so it’s all about opportunity for Green.
Maybe the biggest factor is health.
Green was limited to 70 games last season, only played in 35 out of 48 lockout-shortened games in 2012-13 and has only managed a full season once in his NHL career. Attribute that to his shaky health, tendency to hold onto the puck too much or not, but a healthy season could open the door for Green to make a lot of money and help the Capitals in the process.
There are plenty of variables involved – maybe most importantly how tolerant Barry Trotz will be toward Green taking the occasional chance – but Green can ultimately enjoy a big payday if everything goes right next season.
It’s easy to question the chances of working out … but how might someone have felt about making the same kind of prediction about Niskanen in August 2013?
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)