Aug 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
On paper, the Colorado Avalanche have nine NHL-ready defensemen under contract already. That hurts RFA defenseman Tyson Barrie‘s leverage quite a bit, but a strong finish to the 2013-14 season indicates that the Avs should ante up anyway.
After scoring eight points in 25 games from October through December, Barrie really took off once 2014 rolled around. He scored 30 of 38 points from last season once the calendar hit 2014 (and all 13 of his Avalanche defensemen-leading goals happened during that span).
The 2014 postseason seemed like an opportunity for Barrie to gain some mainstream recognition until Matt Cooke intervened, but Barrie told NHL.com that he hopes to only build on that strong finish, even if he lacks a new contract with Colorado as of this writing.
“It’s frustrating, but we’ve got such a good young team here,” Barrie said. “Hopefully I’ll be a part of it for a long time and we can make some noise in the playoffs in the future.”
At 23, it’s hard to deny the likelihood of Barrie making quite a bit more noise himself.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)