Aug 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
On paper, the Colorado Avalanche have nine NHL-ready defensemen under contract already. That hurts RFA defenseman Tyson Barrie‘s leverage quite a bit, but a strong finish to the 2013-14 season indicates that the Avs should ante up anyway.
After scoring eight points in 25 games from October through December, Barrie really took off once 2014 rolled around. He scored 30 of 38 points from last season once the calendar hit 2014 (and all 13 of his Avalanche defensemen-leading goals happened during that span).
The 2014 postseason seemed like an opportunity for Barrie to gain some mainstream recognition until Matt Cooke intervened, but Barrie told NHL.com that he hopes to only build on that strong finish, even if he lacks a new contract with Colorado as of this writing.
“It’s frustrating, but we’ve got such a good young team here,” Barrie said. “Hopefully I’ll be a part of it for a long time and we can make some noise in the playoffs in the future.”
At 23, it’s hard to deny the likelihood of Barrie making quite a bit more noise himself.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)