Aug 17, 2014, 8:08 PM EST
A lot of things come to mind when you hear the name Roberto Luongo.
Naturally, there’s the goalie battle he had with Cory Schneider as a member of the Vancouver Canucks, which only seems odder today. One might also think of his often-hysterical and frequently self-deprecating Twitter feed. Even Luongo hates his lengthy contract, so that tends to cloud judgments about him, too. Few really throw the phrase “Hall of Fame” around, though.
There’s a pretty solid argument that people should, even if goalies tend to face a tougher road to the HHOF than skaters. Let’s take a quick look at some of his credentials and maybe a few minuses:
- He owns a couple gold medals and was the starter in Canada’s 2010 thrilling win.
- In the last decade, only Martin Brodeur’s 323 wins tops Luongo’s 318. He’s nearing 400 in his career as he sits with 373.
- It’s not just about wins, though; his individual stats are solid too. Luongo and Henrik Lundqvist both average a .920 save percentage since 2003-04, leaving them in select company as truly reliable “elites.”
- Luongo put up strong numbers on a bad team (Florida) and in a hockey hotbed (Vancouver).
- That said, many will hold a high-profile down note or two against him. Most notably, Luongo struggled in the last five games of that memorable 2011 Stanley Cup Final. He combined a Game 5 shutout with losses in which he allowed three goals twice, four tallies once and a whopping eight in Game 3. The Chicago Blackhawks also gave him fits over the years.
- Also, as stable and solid as Luongo’s been, he’s never won a Vezina Trophy. Some voters gravitate toward flashier numbers and awards, after all.
At 35, Luongo still has plenty of time to add trophies and wins to his potential Hall of Fame resume. Still, it’s fun to prognosticate based on his current path and ask if he’s worthy of Hall of Fame induction.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)