Aug 17, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Ever since Kevin Hayes became an unrestricted free agent on Friday at midnight, he’s been the hottest commodity on the open market.
Chalk it up to the dog days of summer, but Hayes, a Chicago Blackhawks first-round selection from the 2010 NHL Draft, has been all over the hockey headlines the past 48 hours.
Teams rumored to be interested in Hayes’ services include the Boston Bruins, Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers.
The latest update on the forward comes from Mark Divver at The Providence Journal:
Hearing that Kevin Hayes camp will spend Sunday narrowing list of NHL suitors, then speak with 4 to 5 finalists on Mon.
— Mark Divver (@MarkDivver) August 17, 2014
Chicago had until Friday to sign Hayes who spent the past four seasons at Boston College where last season he scored 27 goals and 65 points in 48 games.
Since the Blackhawks were unable to come to terms with Hayes, they received a compensatory pick (54th overall) for next year’s draft.
As Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun points out in his Sunday column nearly 200 players, who spent at least one game in the NHL last season, remain unsigned.
So with no professional experience, Hayes hardly seems the type of player who should be at the top of team’s must-sign list, if they’re in search of immediate help. Hayes is unlikely to have a significant impact this season.
Though Hayes, 22, had a decent showing last season playing NCAA Div. 1, he likely needs some seasoning in the AHL before making any kind of mark at the NHL level.
Chances are whichever team signs him, will give the Massachusetts a native a look at training camp before allowing him to get some big minutes at the AHL level.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 2
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 12
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)