Aug 17, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
If you were to compile a list of the league’s most unstoppable physical forces, Milan Lucic would be close to the top. As this fascinating Boston Globe story reveals, he didn’t exactly come to the Boston Bruins as a complete product.
It’s easy to roll your eyes when someone talks about a prospect “growing into his body” or being able to do much more once he puts on some weight, yet it sounds like Lucic is a prime example of that actually working out.
Bruins strength coach John Whitesides apparently frequently regales Lucic with the story of his less-than-glowing analysis back when the power forward was being evaluated at the combine.
“They all told me how tough Lucic was,” Whitesides said. “I was like, this kid is tough? Really?
“I say it to him all the time. He always comes in, he’s like, ‘Tell me what you said about me at the combine.’ Because I looked at him, I didn’t write anything about him, but I’m like, this kid? This kid’s tough? He was a stringbean.”
The 26-year-old must have been a quick study, though. He was drafted 50th overall in 2006 and played in 77 games during the 2007-08 season. He’s now listed at 6-foot-3, 235 lbs and, again, is easily on the short list of the NHL’s most intimidating forwards.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)