Aug 17, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
If you were to compile a list of the league’s most unstoppable physical forces, Milan Lucic would be close to the top. As this fascinating Boston Globe story reveals, he didn’t exactly come to the Boston Bruins as a complete product.
It’s easy to roll your eyes when someone talks about a prospect “growing into his body” or being able to do much more once he puts on some weight, yet it sounds like Lucic is a prime example of that actually working out.
Bruins strength coach John Whitesides apparently frequently regales Lucic with the story of his less-than-glowing analysis back when the power forward was being evaluated at the combine.
“They all told me how tough Lucic was,” Whitesides said. “I was like, this kid is tough? Really?
“I say it to him all the time. He always comes in, he’s like, ‘Tell me what you said about me at the combine.’ Because I looked at him, I didn’t write anything about him, but I’m like, this kid? This kid’s tough? He was a stringbean.”
The 26-year-old must have been a quick study, though. He was drafted 50th overall in 2006 and played in 77 games during the 2007-08 season. He’s now listed at 6-foot-3, 235 lbs and, again, is easily on the short list of the NHL’s most intimidating forwards.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 3
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 93
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (94)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)