Aug 17, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
If you were to compile a list of the league’s most unstoppable physical forces, Milan Lucic would be close to the top. As this fascinating Boston Globe story reveals, he didn’t exactly come to the Boston Bruins as a complete product.
It’s easy to roll your eyes when someone talks about a prospect “growing into his body” or being able to do much more once he puts on some weight, yet it sounds like Lucic is a prime example of that actually working out.
Bruins strength coach John Whitesides apparently frequently regales Lucic with the story of his less-than-glowing analysis back when the power forward was being evaluated at the combine.
“They all told me how tough Lucic was,” Whitesides said. “I was like, this kid is tough? Really?
“I say it to him all the time. He always comes in, he’s like, ‘Tell me what you said about me at the combine.’ Because I looked at him, I didn’t write anything about him, but I’m like, this kid? This kid’s tough? He was a stringbean.”
The 26-year-old must have been a quick study, though. He was drafted 50th overall in 2006 and played in 77 games during the 2007-08 season. He’s now listed at 6-foot-3, 235 lbs and, again, is easily on the short list of the NHL’s most intimidating forwards.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)