Aug 16, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Beau Bennett expects to be ready for training camp after undergoing a second wrist surgery on May 22.
Bennett, 22, tells Michelle Crechiolo of the Penguins that the wrist is getting progressively better.
“Playing it by ear right now,” he said. “Everyday it’s feeling a little bit better and we’re increasing a little bit in the weight training and on-ice stuff. It’s still early and I’m glad that I’m here (in Pittsburgh) early enough where I can really see where I’m at.”
Following his spring surgery, the second in six months, a four-month window was expected for recovery, which would take the Gardena, Calif. native into September.
Bennett underwent surgery on the wrist for the first time in November 2013. At that time, a recovery period of 8-10 weeks was expected.
Following the surgery, Bennett returned in March to play nine regular season games scoring two goals and two assists.
This time around, Bennett feels the process is moving a long better.
“So far, it’s been a lot better,” Bennett said. “I was only in the cast for two weeks as opposed to six weeks the last time. It’s a work in progress.”
Bennett added one goal and four assists in 12 playoff games as the Penguins were eliminated by the New York Rangers in the second round.
The 6-foot-2, 196-pounder had three goals and four assists in 21 NHL games last season, Bennett also appeared in three games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL on a conditioning assignment where he had an assist.
Entering his third NHL season, Bennett could be prime for a bigger role this year following the departures of James Neal, who was dealt to the Nashville Predators and unrestricted free agent Jussi Jokinen signing with the Florida Panthers.
“It’s tough because I didn’t have a real full season last year,” said Bennett. “It’s hard to gauge where I’ll be at coming into this year. But I’m excited for the opportunity to play top-six.
“Even if you play top-nine, we have (Brandon) Sutter as the third-line center and he’s an unbelievable guy to play with. Then you have (Marcel) Goc, who I played with a lot in the playoffs and we were familiar with each other. It’s kind of an embarrassment of riches down the middle and we’re pretty lucky as wingers to play with any of the guys.”
Feb 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Was injured on a hit from Seth Jones.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
He’s being evaluated in hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)