Aug 16, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
This summer, NBC Sports’ social media team is conducting the #NHLGreatest initiative, designed for fans to choose the best player in each franchise’s history. Balloting was conducted through three platforms — Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — with thousands of votes being cast. The results of this initiative will be released throughout the month of August, in conjunction with PHT’s Team of the Day series.
1. Ron Francis (639)
2. Rod Brind’Amour (438)
3. Eric Staal (178)
4. Cam Ward (109)
Hartford Whalers fans can take the same delight as Carolina Hurricanes fans, as the face of both renditions of the franchise was voted the greatest player in Hurricanes history. In case you missed it up top, that man is former player and current GM Ron Francis. It’s fitting, after all, that he was known to some as “The Franchise” … at least when he wasn’t topping underrated players lists.
Francis starred for the Whalers from 1981-82 through 1990-91, when he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Francis then made his return to the franchise as a member of the Hurricanes from 1998-99 to 2003-04, the same season that he finished off his career with a forgettable 12 games as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
(Seriously, let’s try to forget that ever happened.)
When you combine Hurricanes and Whalers stats, Francis towers above anyone else historically. He scored a whopping 1,175 points, nearly doubling second place all-time player Eric Staal (who sits at 688 right now). In fact, Francis has more assists (793) than anyone else has points. Francis also ranks second all-time in playoff scoring with 39 points in 62 games (Staal has 43 points in as many postseason contests).
The Hall-of-Famer won two Stanley Cups during his run with the Penguins, yet most think of him as a Whaler/Hurricane … and many still think of Francis when they ponder that franchise.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)