Aug 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Sonny Milano informed Boston College that he’s decided to play for the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers instead next season, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch and Rob Mixer of the Blue Jackets’ website.
The Blue Jackets selected Milano with the 16th overall pick of the 2014 NHL Draft. Portzline wonders if the team steered the 18-year-old toward the OHL path, even if they denied doing so. (GM Jarmo Kekalainen said he’d leave that decision to Milano and his family earlier this summer, according to Portzline.)
Either way, Portzline points out some of the perks that come with going this route:
Plymouth is one of Canada’s well-respected major-junior programs. He’ll play nearly twice as many games in major-junior as he would at Boston College, and he can sign an entry-level contract with the Blue Jackets – along with a healthy signing bonus — without having to worry about his NCAA eligibility.
Milano can also get his feet wet at Blue Jackets training camp if the team decides to go that direction.
Obviously there are advantages to considering the NCAA option as well, but Milano decided to go down a different road.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)