Aug 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Sonny Milano informed Boston College that he’s decided to play for the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers instead next season, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch and Rob Mixer of the Blue Jackets’ website.
The Blue Jackets selected Milano with the 16th overall pick of the 2014 NHL Draft. Portzline wonders if the team steered the 18-year-old toward the OHL path, even if they denied doing so. (GM Jarmo Kekalainen said he’d leave that decision to Milano and his family earlier this summer, according to Portzline.)
Either way, Portzline points out some of the perks that come with going this route:
Plymouth is one of Canada’s well-respected major-junior programs. He’ll play nearly twice as many games in major-junior as he would at Boston College, and he can sign an entry-level contract with the Blue Jackets – along with a healthy signing bonus — without having to worry about his NCAA eligibility.
Milano can also get his feet wet at Blue Jackets training camp if the team decides to go that direction.
Obviously there are advantages to considering the NCAA option as well, but Milano decided to go down a different road.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)