Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Under some serious salary cap limitations, the Boston Bruins could take out a flyer on an old rival to round out their forward corps. The team extended a training camp tryout invitation to Simon Gagne, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie and the Boston Globe’s Amalie Benjamin.
Some might be a little surprised that Gagne is only 34, as he’s dealt with the sort of concussion issues that seem to age a player.
Gagne also sat out the 2013-14 season thanks to a lack of interest after splitting the 2012-13 campaign between the Los Angeles Kings and Philadelphia Flyers. He managed 16 points in 38 games that season and was similarly limited in 2011-12 with Los Angeles (17 points in 34 contests), but he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s most prolific snipers.
At least, he’s not that far removed from those glory days as far as the Bruins are concerned. Factoring in Marc Savard‘s soon-to-be negated $4.03 million cap hit, the Bruins have a bit more than $3 million to allocate to RFAs Torey Krug and Reilly Smith. Taking a look at Gagne and potentially giving him a bargain deal makes a lot of sense from the Bruins’ perspective, especially since they can pass after testing the veteran winger out in training camp.
Naturally, this also opens the door for the odd sight of seeing Gagne in a Bruins uniform.
The long-time Philadelphia Flyers forward scored his fair share of goals against the B’s, with some of the most painful ones coming during Philly’s historic comeback from an 0-3 deficit in the 2010 postseason. This one may still sting for some Bruins fans:
Obviously, Gagne hasn’t shown that game-breaking form in quite some time, but the Bruins might just benefit from a little veteran forward insurance. Unlike that video above, it can’t hurt to at least take a look, right?
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)