Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Under some serious salary cap limitations, the Boston Bruins could take out a flyer on an old rival to round out their forward corps. The team extended a training camp tryout invitation to Simon Gagne, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie and the Boston Globe’s Amalie Benjamin.
Some might be a little surprised that Gagne is only 34, as he’s dealt with the sort of concussion issues that seem to age a player.
Gagne also sat out the 2013-14 season thanks to a lack of interest after splitting the 2012-13 campaign between the Los Angeles Kings and Philadelphia Flyers. He managed 16 points in 38 games that season and was similarly limited in 2011-12 with Los Angeles (17 points in 34 contests), but he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s most prolific snipers.
At least, he’s not that far removed from those glory days as far as the Bruins are concerned. Factoring in Marc Savard‘s soon-to-be negated $4.03 million cap hit, the Bruins have a bit more than $3 million to allocate to RFAs Torey Krug and Reilly Smith. Taking a look at Gagne and potentially giving him a bargain deal makes a lot of sense from the Bruins’ perspective, especially since they can pass after testing the veteran winger out in training camp.
Naturally, this also opens the door for the odd sight of seeing Gagne in a Bruins uniform.
The long-time Philadelphia Flyers forward scored his fair share of goals against the B’s, with some of the most painful ones coming during Philly’s historic comeback from an 0-3 deficit in the 2010 postseason. This one may still sting for some Bruins fans:
Obviously, Gagne hasn’t shown that game-breaking form in quite some time, but the Bruins might just benefit from a little veteran forward insurance. Unlike that video above, it can’t hurt to at least take a look, right?
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Was rushed to hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)